Logo

gear grinding sound at full throttle.

gyouska

Hey everyone I took out my 1972 evinrude 9.5 sportwin and I noticed a really disturbing sound when I turn the handle to full throttle. It almost sounds like some gears are worn out internally and slipping or somthing to that effect. also the motor does not seem to give out as much power as it once did at full throttle. half throttle and full produce the same speed but the motor even though the motor revs up higher at full. At full the sound is really bad. any idea what to take look at or what could be causing this?

I will have to check it tomorrow. I have completely removed the lower unit. I want to open it up tomorrow and see if any of the gears are damaged. Anything I should know before I open it up? What kind of gear oil do I need and will local auto parts store have it?

If you drain the gear oil do you find any metal shavings in it? Auto parts store should have the lower unit oil as well as Walley World. Have you checked to see if the prop hub is slipping and making the noise? Good luck

If you drain the gear oil do you find any metal shavings in it? Auto parts store should have the lower unit oil as well as Walley World. Have you checked to see if the prop hub is slipping and making the noise? Good luck
I have not checked the gear oil yet. also where exactly is the prop hud on these motors. From my understanding it is like a bearing built into the propeller? My propeller does not have anything in it except a slot to go on a pin on the shaft.

I just checked the oil and when i removed the bolts nothing drained out except a bunch of water what gear oil that is left is so this it is more of a greese now. I cannot get the 6 bolts to come out to take the gear case apart. any recommendations.

Last edited:
Sorry, sometimes it is difficult to convince folks that there is a rubber drive hub / slip clutch inside the propeller.------You can not see this but you must understand that it is there.

Ok I mean I looked at the prop and it kinda looked like something was pressed in but was not sure. after seeing the pin I just figured it was not in there. I took the gear box apart. When I opened the drain plugs only water came out. The oil was so old it had become more of a grease and would not drain. I had to wipe it all out once I opened it up. How can I check the hub inside the propeller what do you recomend I check?

Mark the hub of the prop and the prop itself and get it running again, the run engine in the lake until your feel or hear the sound; then check to see if the marks are still lined up if not, then the hub is slipping and needs to be rehubbed at a prop shop. It sounds like you have more problems than a slipping prop what with water and sollified grease which needs to be corrected. find out how the water got in there and go from there. good luck

How does the bronze bearing above the pinion gear look?-------How does the sintered bearing on the forward gear look?

I dont know how water got inside it must have accumulated over the years. The gear oil does not look like its ever been changed! all bolts holding the case were really tight and all rubber caskets did not look to be in too bad of condition. I did not inspect any bearings that closely but did not notice any damage on any of the components. I will try marking the hub.

Back