Logo

mariner 5hp ID

buluone

I just purchased a 5hp Mariner for $50.00. Starts easy and runs great!! Super clean. Did I get a good deal? Can't id it though. I.D. plate reads 5M, below that is 6E3 416556. Any info on yr? Also, long shaft, made in japan. Thanks

A running outboard for 50 bucks is a steal. :)

You have a 1983 model. It was built by Yamaha for Mercury and marketed under the Mariner brand. There are two "types" of Mariners out there. Some are just Merc's with different paint decals, others like yours are essentially a pure Yamaha model.

The serial/model number breaks down as follows:

6E3 - Yamaha designation meaning the motor is essentially a Yamaha model 5C which they built in the 1980's

416556 - is the "serial" part and that shows up in the Mariner charts for 1983 "long shaft".

There may be an "L" between the 6E3 part and the 416556 - may be obscured by dirt/gunk - not an issue if it isn't there, but it would be typically part of the model/serial.

While a number of major parts are now discontinued for this model, most of the bits/kits you would need for regular maint (carb kit, water pump kit/impeller etc) is still stocked by Merc.

Both Merc and Yami call this the model 5C. If you have a Yami dealer in your area they often have parts at a discount compared to the Merc dealer.

This being a single cylinder I would replace the spark plug every second year whether it looks like it needs it or not. It may look fine but the resistance may start going and since you are relying on a single cylinder if it's not kept in "peak tune" it tends to shake like a wet dog on a cold day :)

Back