Logo

76 johnson 15hp transfer tube

buluone

1976 Johnson, 15hp. How to remove the water transfer tube (from pump to engine). Lower unit already off. Switching from long to short shaft but can't get the transfer tube out. Need it for transfer.

The tube has a flange at the top.---It will not pull out the bottom !!!-------Cut 5" off the tube is one way to do it.

I'm new to marine motors, but good with automotive. The powerhead is the engine? Lower unit removed, all connecting parts (carb, starter,lines and linkages) removed. Everything I can see that would connect the powerhead to the "exhaust housing"? (the unit that connects to the tilt) removed. "Six"? bolts underneath and the four lower cowling damper bolts out. Powerhead won't come loose. Am I missing something or is it just being stubborn? Can I tap it with a dead blow hammer?

Tried the pry bar but was just flexing the cowling. After several good "Whacks", it finally popped loose. The gasket was stubborn. Glad I did this as the inside looks like it's been run in salt water and never flushed. But now I can take two to make my short shaft. Again thanks for all the help from every one.

Back