Logo

Volvo tamd 60a heat exchanger.

dinky d

Seem to have raw sea water mixing with fresh water in the engine,suspect either O rings or cooling core in heat exchanger,have removed end plate to expose cooling core but can not see how to remove core,any info greatly appreciated........Tom.

Don't have experience with your model of engine, but can tell you that if the tubes are not open at both ends, in otherwords they are in the shape of a U at the opposite end you removed, then hammer plugs into the 2 holes for the tubes that are leaking. I was unable to pull my core as it either seized in or was a press fit from factory. Mine did not have the U tubes described above. My exchanger had straight tubes abd the opposite end had a simple divider for flow direction. I was unable to reattach the crimped end and finally replaced the exchanger with a used unit. In theory you should be able somehow to locate the cracked tube and maybe push a loose rubber bung toward the opposite end then fill the tube with JB weld or slow set epoxy. Just a thought... hadn't tried it myself, but would have been my next step. Good luck.

Hi skiss, thanks for advice,managed to get core out of exchanger to find end of pipe connected to cooler had broke and letting sea water mix with engine cooler.the cooler has been repaired/modified previously by the looks of it,so hopefully I can go down the same path,many thanks for your advice...........Tom.

Back