Logo

What Is This? Reason For Concern?

haydenfox

I just noticed this while doing 100 hr. maintenance. I have no idea what it is and never noticed it (pics 2-3). Also , is it normal for the trim motor housing to rust this way?

Attachments

• IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 34
Yes, it is a 90 hp Mercury OT872802. What is the rings function and how do I go about fixing it? So far I've been told the part it connects to has probably rotted and that it is common. Also that it is more trouble an it is worth... Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEERING-AR..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item19eb988cfa&vxp=mtr
The only pics I can see the splines are supposed to be notched to hold the lower mount up for the exhaust housing my concern here is the shift shaft is not centered in the tube. I would check all the mounts good upper and lower. Drop the motor all the way down and put it in reverse. Grab the gearbox and see how tight everything is. If you get alot of movement in any direction I would consider replacing the steering tube and all the rubber mounts.

I understand this would be an extensive job..? 8 hrs plus nearly 500 in parts. I'm afraid I don't understand your instructions. I assume I'd be on the water, moving? Gearbox , between the cowl and lower unit? Sorry, this is all new to me...

Back