Logo

mercruiser 357 mag new engine sheen/smoke

y2kroper

I just had a new inboard engine installed. Its a mercruiser 357mag. Im having a sheen in the water and smoke, having a hard time telling if its white or blue. Im not sure how long the mechanic ran it but I have approx. 2 hrs run time on it. I used about a quart of oil. Will this stop or ? Thanks

I just had a new inboard engine installed. Its a mercruiser 357mag. Im having a sheen in the water and smoke, having a hard time telling if its white or blue. Im not sure how long the mechanic ran it but I have approx. 2 hrs run time on it. I used about a quart of oil. Will this stop or ? Thanks

A quart in 2 hrs is a bit much, even for a new engine, however as BONDO posted, run it for awhile and it should stop. When you say "new", you mean a new-from-Mercruiser all up engine delivered in its crate, right?

A quart in 2 hrs is a bit much, even for a new engine, however as BONDO posted, run it for awhile and it should stop. When you say "new", you mean a new-from-Mercruiser all up engine delivered in its crate, right?

Its a factory rebuilt motor. Im thinking that its fuel and oil in the water. Ive tried adjusting the choke and mixture screws but still smoking. Its not terrible but definatly visable. The sheen in the water is obvious and continues for quite some time after killing the engine.

Well its definatley oil and blue smoke. Just checked. I tilted my outdrive up and a big sheen appeared when I lowered it. Guessing its rings not seated...well hoping.

Well its definatley oil and blue smoke. Just checked. I tilted my outdrive up and a big sheen appeared when I lowered it. Guessing its rings not seated...well hoping.
That's not normal. Is there any warranty and can a service shop inspect it? What engine manufacture?

Back