Logo

New to boating,I have a 2000johnson 40hp 2 cycle that overheats

phoneguy

I changed the water pump on my boat ,because there was not any water coming out of the hole below the cowling.I have water coming out of the hose from out the side of the cowling. I heard once the thermostat opens water will come out the lower hole.Is this correct ? will a new thermostat fix this? how many are there and where are they? thanks

I have a 40hp j40plssm,and thank you for the help. This is my second boat, the first motor were my arms.I hated when we went water skiing.I was wondering what the tell tail was.What is the name for the other hole below the cowling? Would a well working thermostat start to push water out of the hole below the cowling where the motor starts to get bigger? very new to outboards,I have this motor running and need to get water to pump out to cool before I start my quest to put large mouth bass on the endangered species list!

i have tried that but seem to only get the videos from the boat looking out.I have not seen any from back of boat.going to try and put thermostat in pan of water.If I take out thermo and put a hose in there shouldn't it flow out of that hole ,if it is suppose to? Thank you very much going to try working on it again today.I got this motor from not starting,not pumping water,not idling,not shifting to working well except overheating alarm coming on and shutting off. so close I feel like a monkey trapped in a monkey trap.I have not spent very much money yet just in case I need a new motor.Thanks

took the thermostat out and it ran without warning alarm sounding.going for a barrel and solution to clean it out.Thank you very much,and for all ideas On to next problem

Back