Logo

mercury 4.3 alpha motor won't trim up in driveway... help!!!

craw0092

Just took the boat our for the season, in the winter, I let the motor down while in storage. This afternoon, I took the boat out and the motor will not lift up, just go down.

I can hear the clicking, but it won't move. Any suggestions?

Ic

There is a trim limit switch on the outdrive. You can try jumping it at the trim motor and if it goes up it is prob. your trim limit. I had a similar problem and by passed the trim limit. Hope this helps.

If the trim will not work with the rocker switch on the control handle try the trailer button. If it works this way then the trim limit switch may be bad or needs to be adjusted.
if the pump/outdrive will not come up when pushing the trailer button then most likely it is the UP solenoid.

On the power trim pump assembly as shown in the pdf posted, there are two solenoids.
Up and down. The up solenoid has a large blue wire and the down has a large green.....up is the sky and down is the grass...........

Each solenoid has four wires, Two are large wires connected to the two top posts and one is red 10 gauge (battery 12 vdc) going to each solenoid.
and each has one that is blue 10 gauge and one is green 10 gauge. These large wires (blue and green) go to the power trim motor.
Then there are two smaller wires on each solenoid, one is blue with white stripe (up) and the other is green with white stripe (down) and the remaining two are black (ground).

If you make a jumper with alligator clips and jump from the red top terminal and connect to the blue with white stripe (small wire) and the trim pumps works the solenoid is working correctly. If it does not and only clicks or nothing at all the solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

Ayuh,.... Before ya spend any money on parts,....

Remove, 'n sand to shiny metal Clean, All the connections kghost mentions, 'n Try it,....

It sounds like ya got Corroded wirin' connections,...

Back