Logo

2009 Merc 9.9 4-stroke stop switch lanyard

troutguy

I recently lost the lanyard that you hook to your belt and stops the motor when it is pulled on. Not sure how this actually works, although a diagram in the repair manual (not clear) shows a loop on the end of the lanyard. Three questions:

1. How do you install a new lanyard?

2. Does the absence of the lanyard necessarily mean the motor wont start? (not sure if it just pulls down on the stop toggle switch, or if it actually breaks the connection to the ignition circuit)

walmart sells them. place the loop over the switch lever and push it upward...it will snap into lock. the engine will start w/the lever in the up position. when down it kills the ignition.

walmart sells them. place the loop over the switch lever and push it upward...it will snap into lock. the engine will start w/the lever in the up position. when down it kills the ignition.

So are you saying that the engine should run OK even without a lanyard as long as the kill switch is in the up (i.e., on) position?

yes...but not recommended

That's how I was leaning, but wanted confirmation so I don't have to wait for a lanyard to arrive in order to progress with the troubleshooting. So, on with the testing. Appreciate your assistance. You guys that answer my dumb questions are A-OK.

Back