Logo

BF8A mid-top end issues

spdracer71

Bought a used BF8A motor a few years back that fell into salt water about 30ft down. Got a really good deal on it and cleaned it up, flushed it out and got it going again. Ran great for about 2-3 years. After DE-winterizing it last year took it out and she just won't get up to speed and plane out. It has a sputter at times and just feel underpowered. After months of tinkering I've decided to seek some help since boating season is upon us again. Here is a list what has been done since my issue has started.

-New timing belt
-New water impeller
-New carb w/ lines and filter
-New fuel pump
-New gas tank and lines
-New spark plugs
-New fresh ethonal-free gas

I pulled the rubber cap off the pulse pick up rotor and it is rusty under there. I was going to remove it to clean it up, but I don't know if I need a special tool to pull it off. I don't see any threads on the pulley to be able to attach any sort of puller. Maybe a 2-3 jaw puller??? Just don't want to break the pulley.

I am beginning to sense that I am having an electrical problem. Does anyone think I could be having coil issues OR pulse pick up problems. I've seen dirt bikes have similar issues and ended up being a faulty stator.

Hope someone can open a few more doors for me.

Since it went into salt water, it is anyone's guess.

Check the compression to assure that the cylinders/valves are doing their thing.

You should not need a puller to remove the cam pulley. You might have to use pbblaster or similar fluid to loosen the pulley from the cam shaft.

Once you get it off, besides cleaning up any rust etc, check the weights etc up inside the cam pulley. If they are corroded and not able to move, the timing will not advance.

You might also take a peek under your flywheel for more corrosion that could be interfering with grounding of the coils underneath or actually coming in contact with the magnets on the flywheel.

Two more things to check. Recheck the static timing of the timing belt. If out one notch, it might idle but will not run good at higher speeds.

And last but not least, there is a valve #3 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF8A3 SA/CAM PULLEY/parts.html in the breather, that may be not operating properly. It is just a strip of metal over a hole that allows air to flow only one way. If it is rusted or corroded, it could be either stuck open or maybe closed.

Looks like a little more tinkering is in order.

Mike

WOW thanks Mike!!! Some really great things to check out!! Any one of those things makes complete since and reasonable possibility's. Although it might take me a couple of days maybe weeks to find time to check these things, I am super excited to check them out. As soon as I check these things and get it back on the water I'll be back with some feedback/results. Thanks again!

Since it went into salt water, it is anyone's guess.

Check the compression to assure that the cylinders/valves are doing their thing.

You should not need a puller to remove the cam pulley. You might have to use pbblaster or similar fluid to loosen the pulley from the cam shaft.

Once you get it off, besides cleaning up any rust etc, check the weights etc up inside the cam pulley. If they are corroded and not able to move, the timing will not advance.

You might also take a peek under your flywheel for more corrosion that could be interfering with grounding of the coils underneath or actually coming in contact with the magnets on the flywheel.

Two more things to check. Recheck the static timing of the timing belt. If out one notch, it might idle but will not run good at higher speeds.

And last but not least, there is a valve #3 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF8A3 SA/CAM PULLEY/parts.html in the breather, that may be not operating properly. It is just a strip of metal over a hole that allows air to flow only one way. If it is rusted or corroded, it could be either stuck open or maybe closed.

Looks like a little more tinkering is in order.

Mike

Hey Mike...Just wanted to give you some feedback and tell you thank you again for your ideas and things to look for! The variable timing unit was rusted/corroded and stuck. I cleaned/lubed and it works perfect now. I'll be taking a test drive here within the next week and give you final word.

Well I finally got to do a test ride in boat after cleaning the variable timing unit. It works perfect and pulls up onto plane with no issues. Much more power not. Thanks again Mike. A real help and a time saver!!!

Donny

Back