Logo

Will a 350 Chevy starter motor work in a Mercruiser

Darv15

Hi Guys,
I bought a ski boat 2 years ago and have had nothing but trouble with the starter motor grinding on the flywheel. We have replaced both the flywheel and starter motor three times each and still continue to have the same problem. We were told when we bought it that it was a 350 chevy motor but I have recently been told that it is infact a Mercruiser (I understand Chevy make the Mercruiser motors but there are some minor differences). As i understand it the previous owners thought it was a 350 chev motor so they may have installed the wrong starter motor but i just want to know if a chev starter motor would align with a Mercruiser and not grind?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi Guys,
I bought a ski boat 2 years ago and have had nothing but trouble with the starter motor grinding on the flywheel. We have replaced both the flywheel and starter motor three times each and still continue to have the same problem. We were told when we bought it that it was a 350 chevy motor but I have recently been told that it is infact a Mercruiser (I understand Chevy make the Mercruiser motors but there are some minor differences). As i understand it the previous owners thought it was a 350 chev motor so they may have installed the wrong starter motor but i just want to know if a chev starter motor would align with a Mercruiser and not grind?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ayuh,.... The Blocks are the Same, so the starter mountin' is also the same,...

Keep in mind that there are two SBC flywheel ring gears and flywheel diameters used.
We'll see a 153 tooth flywheel (common with the earlier AQ series Volvo Penta)...... and we'll see a 168 tooth flywheel (common with Merc).
Each requires a different style starter motor.... and neither can be inadvertantly used incorrectly....... they simply will not interchange.

There is absolutely NO difference between the flywheel ring gear and the starter motor pinion gear proximetry between the Automotive and Marine SBC engine.
If the pinion gear/ring gear proximetry is off, it's more likely to be an issue with the starter motor brand.... IMO.

And BTW.... don't waist any money on anything but a Good HTGR/PMGR starter motor these days.
And make dang sure that you receive the correct mounting bolts with the new motor. :mad:

I have vortec 315hp marine power engine, boat and engine has only 40hrs from new 2011 and starter throughs in and out and locks onto ring gear, pulled plugs turns over fine.. Starter has approx 3/4 inch hole that looks over starter gear, any help be great....

I have vortec 315hp marine power engine, boat and engine has only 40hrs from new 2011 and starter throughs in and out and locks onto ring gear, pulled plugs turns over fine.. Starter has approx 3/4 inch hole that looks over starter gear, any help be great....

Huh,..??..??

Clean the battery terminals, the wirin' ends, 'n the other end, of Both battery wires 1st,...

Marine Power leaves that hole in the top so that the starter can be periodically lubricated. Boat starters are prone to corrosion. Your engine manual gives the specs for lubrication. I cheat and spray some fogging oil in there periodically. There should be a plastic plug in the hole.

Back