Logo

Gear shift problems aq130c direct drive engine

J54prin

Hi there,
I am restoring a 63 Storebro Solo with a direct drive volvo penta aq130c petrol engine. The engine is running fine but I cannot get any movement on the gear change. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi there,
I am restoring a 63 Storebro Solo with a direct drive volvo penta aq130c petrol engine. The engine is running fine but I cannot get any movement on the gear change. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like the motor is fine,....

What transmission is it,..??

Not sure about the type of transmission, it's a single level normally operated by a push pull cable anchored to the side of the engine. There is a large lever on the side of the control box. I am thinking of having some kind of linkage made up so it can be operated from a simple gear lever.

Volvo Penta's I/B transmission way after this year range........ would have been the MS-3, I believe.
However.... the MS-3 or 4 is not a direct drive affair.

Since who knows what the boat manufacturer may have done back then......... pictures NOW would be worth a few thousand words here.

There are some pics on Storeland Classic Boats website in the Netherlands. It shows restoration pics of a number of solos.

There are some pics on Storeland Classic Boats website in the Netherlands. It shows restoration pics of a number of solos.
Sheesh.... this is like pulling teeth! :confused: :cool: :D

Could you please post a hyperlink to this web site so that we will be able to look at it????

I do the AQ series I/O's and engines only...... so I'm not as familiar with the older I/B transmissions.
I forwarded a photo of this to my V/P guru buddy......
That is an older Volvo Penta transmission.... and this model hasn't been used for years.
Parts will be scarce to source.

If you are having trouble with either the engine or this transmission, you'll be better off to replace the push rod engine with the Volvo Penta OHC 4, and a Borg Warner pattern I/B transmission.

Last edited:
OK... one of the pix has what appears to be someone's inline, direct drive transmission on the engine ( find name plate for more info), another pix that the control head is a Morse type MJB control. This control was originally developed for use in auxiliary saiboats for an in cockpit control. The short lever is as you know for throttle, and the longer one shift.
A fast debugging procedure would be to have someone move the shift lever thru its approx 90 degree range (it does move, doesn't it?) and look to see if the lever on the side of the transmission that the shift cable attaches to also moves. If the lever on the side of the transmission moves in sync with the shift lever, check carefully to see that the shaft into the transmission rotates in sync with the lever. If all is well for these tests, then you have an internal problem with the transmission that is best handled by a professional. If all is not well in this test, then you have a problem somewhere between the MJB head and the cable/lever to the transmission. This is a very simple setup and easy to check out visually and fix if you are reasonably handy with tools and mechanical things. Very often, the shift cable rusts and freezes and you can't move it. The usual fix is to replace the cable, especially on a boat that old. The cable are standard P/N from Morse. Keep in mind that the shift cable on the MJB head is from a different series (heavy duty) from the throttle cable. Check out the Morse website and download the installation/owners manual for the MJB. If the MJB head itself is problematic, Morse at one time ( an still?) has repair/rebuild parts for this head. If you check the pricing for new control heads, you will see why you will want to repair/rebuild if necessary.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the suggestions. I found once the engine was warm the gear shift worked fine in both forward and reverse using a wrench (as I don't have the connectors for the old push pull cable). I'm thinking of making a gear shift with a simple direct linkage from the console to the gearbox.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I found once the engine was warm the gear shift worked fine in both forward and reverse using a wrench (as I don't have the connectors for the old push pull cable). I'm thinking of making a gear shift with a simple direct linkage from the console to the gearbox.

After taking several years some time ago to restore a boat, I finally launched it. A friend said... "Oh, you actually go out on boats? I thought you just worked on them!"... Making your own gear shift from scratch makes you a candidate for "just worked on them" status. The missing widget that you need to connect the existing shift cable to the shift control lever is a simple clevis and lock nut and should be available from MORSE (Teledyne) these days. Make sure the threaded (female) end threads match the cable end. There are different sizes, and as I recall, the threads on the end of the shift cable are different from the throttle cable.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the push pull cable is missing the end connectors at both ends ( looks like it's been cut off) so there is just the cable. Shame as they are an expensive item.

mmmm.... second attempt to post this.

These cables do not come with end connectors. The standard end is just a threaded stainless rod, i.e. looks like a long shanked machine screw. The mating throttle and shift cables are from different series, the throttle uses the very common 3300 series w/ 10-32 ends, while the shift requires 6400 series cable which has a 5/16-24 threaded end. The reason for this is that the original intent of this control was for use in cruising sailboats with inboard engines using UNIVERSAL engines whose transmissions were (are) notoriously difficult to shift, thereby resulting in the HD cable use.

Back