Logo

No fuel pumping problem

juryduty

I replaced my fuel pump with another one off of a similar 350 Crusader. Here's how it unfolded,
- Removed all the fittings from the old pump, noticed there is fuel in both lines (to carb and from tank)
- Put in the new pump, engine did not start
- Removed that pump, installed a different pump (exact replacement), noticed both lines were all dry
- Engine does not start, both lines dry
- Checked for clogged filter at carb, or anything obviously clogging at all the fittings, found nothing

This is my starboard engine running off the starboard tank. To rule out something related to the tank, I turned on my crossover valve and ran the port engine off the starboard tank for a while (with the port tank shut off). Runs fine.

So the only thing left is the line from the fuel/water separation filter, which is a 3/8 copper line with about 12" of flexible hose at the end, to the fuel pump. Seems very strange, if something were clogging it, seems like "some" fuel would get through but it's totally dry. Is it possible that the needle/seat is stuck in the carb, not allowing the pump to pump any fuel? I guess I will check the line next.

It is not unusual for the engine to take a while to start after replacing the fuel pump (mechanical), especially if the engine has been sitting any length of time....you can remedy the issue by ensuring there are a few ounces of fuel in the float bowl.

You can also "prime" the suction line feeding the pump...

Loose hose clamps on the suction side will inhibit the pump's operation as would a closed shutoff valve...

When in doubt, you can plumb a vacuum gauge into the suction line and see if the pump is working..

Next time... if there is a NEXT time..... start the engine up prior to the work.... even if this means priming the carburetor's fuel bowl!
The new replacement fuel pump will play "catch-up" easily.

Do the same when changing out your main fuel filter cartridge.

BTW... a good working mechanical fuel pump does not require fuel priming in order to cause it to function.
If the mechanical fuel pump will not draw an air vacuum (at the inlet side), and create air pressure (on the outlet side), something is wrong with it.

Last edited:
Back