Logo

Failure to Prime, Severe Flooding

NRAMember

I've searched and read numerous threads on this issue, but I've seen several people with symptoms similar to mine but never saw what they did to fix the problem. Mine is a 1995 Johnson Faststrike 175HP. VRO system is still used. Boat hasn't been on the lake since last July....but ran flawlessly.

So today, I figured I'd put the muffs on it and crank it to let it run so I could resolve any issues instead of waiting until I was at the lake. Sure enough...issues have risen.

Symptom #1, the primer bulb won't build up/maintain pressure. It usually (always before now) pumps up firmly within a few squeezes. I can hear 'gurgling' inside the bulb....as well as 'gurgling' inside the gas tank.

Symptom #2, as I attempt to prime the bulb, I can hear a 'squeak' from a small vacuum hose. One end inserts into the intake silencer while the other plugs into the fuel (vapor) pump. Traced the noise to the actual pump. Almost sounds like a slate turkey call while I squeeze the primer bulb. I've heard that this is normal?

Symptom #3, If I squeeze the primer bulb long enough (again, it never tightens up), fuel pours from the bottom and middle carb on the port side of the motor. I removed the float housings from these carbs. The insides of these are practically clean as a pin. No trash or buildup. Actually took the needle-seat apart on 1 carb and saw no obvious signs of the needle/float hanging up or inability to seat fully. Turned upside down, the top of the float is perfectly parallel to the bowl's edge. That's where it should be, correct? Sprayed down with carb cleaner and wiped excess and reassembled. Can/will gas still flow from other orifices on the carbs even if the needle and seat are fully seated?

Symptom #4, The motor WILL crank and run for a few minutes, then die....and will not restart immediately. If I squeeze the primer bulb enough to get some more fuel to the engine....as long as I don't overdo it, it will restart....run a few minutes, then die again. All the while it DOES run, it smokes like a freakin tar kettle. I realize these motors will smoke some, but mine as always cleared up within a minute of runtime. Currently, it smokes excessively the entire time it runs....like it's severely flooded. As stated, the 2 carbs I disassembled were clean and saw no signs of the needles not seating.

I'm 99% sure carb rebuild(s) is necessary as I've wrenched on ATV, dirtbikes and cars most of my life. Working on boats is fairly new to me, but common sense tells me it's basically the same concept. Just need some guidance.

I retired back in 1991. The design and circuitry of your engine may be foreign to me... but the following would hold true for your engine

Obviously your carburetors are faulty if fuel is flowing out any part of them when you're pumping the fuel primer bulb up. Taking them apart, assuming that the float levels and float needle valves are okay, then putting them back together with the old parts expecting a different result... well, you know what Einstein said about that don't you? :)

The gurgling noise you speak of... I have no idea what that might be. Try to locate exactly where that noise is coming from. Possibly the intake and outgoing valves of the fuel primer bulb are faulty which would allow air/fuel to attempt to flow in the wrong direction.

With a good fuel line & fuel primer bulb and proper functioning carburetors, you should be able to build up pressure in that primer bulb to a point where it is rock hard and even if you squeezed it with both hands as hard as possible or even stood on it... the carburetors would not flood. Clean and rebuild the carburetors, using kits... new float needle valves at a minimum!

The high speed jets located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chambers, way in back of the drain screw.... clean them carefully with a piece of single strand wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Yep, you fellas confirmed everything I was thinking. My brother gave me this boat before he passed away. I knew that he had the carbs rebuilt, but looking back, it's been 6 years since they were done. I had it in my mind that it was a bit more recent than that, but I've had it 5 years already. So I guess they're due again.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Back