Logo

Bf150 hour meter not working

Jmcdan5655

I searched the posts for my problem I did not see anything related. Recently I had the port trim worked on.. Pulled motor, split transom bracket etc. when I got the boat back now it seems that neither hour meter is totaling any hours and both are stuck on 269.. Which I believe is what it was prior to sending to be repaired... Is there anything that could have been done while at the shop that could account for both hour meters to not work? Strange they show total hours, but are not increasing any. They are 2006 BF 150's. Everything else on both gauges are working, fuel flow fuel totalizer, trip miles etc... Only thing not working is the engine hours showing any increasing hours...any help would be greatly appreciated!

These are Honda digital gauges that have trim indicators, tach and hours. Only thing not working is the hour meters on both engines, they seem to be stuck at 269 hours. One post mentioned these gauges may be looped together but strange the only thing not working is the hour meters on both engines. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Checked today with dealer that did the trim work and did not have any idea that they may have done something. Looking for help!

Jeff Mc
[email protected]

If the tachometers both work, the hour meter should increase as the motor is running. I know of no special connection just for the hour meter. You can see by looking at the wiring diagram on the last page of the owner's manual. The digital gauges are in the upper left side. http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31ZY6603.pdf

If the tachs do not indicate rpms, you will have to trace the gray lead back to the engine. First place to look is at the 14 pin connector on the engine...may be a broken pin or corrosion.

Mike

Maybe someone, who has the same gauges, have run into this.

Yes sir that's what makes it so puzzling... Tachs are working just not increasing hours... May completely disconnect both batteries for a few minutes and see if that resets something... Very strange to say the least. When I called the dealer they had no good suggestions either...scary stuff! At least it's just the hour meters, but on both engines... Very strange.

I doubt disconnecting the batteries will do anything, unless something is wired wrong. But...it can't hurt.

Does the hour indication change from trip hour meter to total hour meter when you push the mode button?

Have you tried resetting the trip hour meter by pushing and holding the Set and Mode buttons at the same time. Maybe that will kick the total hour meter in the butt.

If that doesn't do it, I am out of ideas at this point.

Mike

I have those gauges on for a single 225. Not seen that problem before. Is your trim meter working properly? First thing I would do is as Mike suggested, hold down the SET and MODE buttons simultaneously for about three seconds. The other thing I would try is an ECM reset where you shunt the service connector, turn on the key switch, and push in (or pull out) the kill switch 5 times within 20 seconds.

Mike/ CHawk
yes I have reset the trip hour meter but have not let it run long enough to see if that worked only did that when I was close to home so maybe it is working and don't know it yet. All other functions of this gauge are working... Now due to Chawks reply jogged something in my memory and will try to shunt as CHawk suggested. I recently had "tested" my kill switch.... Again don't know if related but there has to be something common going on being it is two engines doing the same thing! I will try and check it this week and will post the results. CHawk please give me more info on where I find the service connector and how to shunt it. I will try disconnecting the batteries first then shunt if that doesn't work. I will also toggle my kill switch first as well.

I appreciate all the suggestions to help resolve this issue! Your advice in the past has helped me with my BF 225 so lots of confidence in your suggestions! At least now I have a direction!

Here is my cut and paste explanation...

Take off the engine cover and the plastic cover over the electronics on the front of the engine. There you will see a red four-pronged female plug. Remove the plug from its holder. Use a paper clip to shunt the lime green/white wire to the black wire – that is, the two wires that are closest to the engine when the red service connector is correctly set in its holder. If in doubt, invest in a SCS service connector, which you can orderonline - part number 070PZ-ZY30100.

Once connected, turn on the key switch and observe the number of blinks on the check engine (MIL) light. The blinks will repeat until you turn off the key.
If the MIL comes on, then stays on, there are no codes in the EPROM. This is contrary to what it says in the Helm Shop Manual (Page 5-14.)

If the MIL starts blinking, then count the blinks, which will indicate the fault code. You may get long blinks and short blinks. For example, two long blinks, followed by five short blinks, would be a fault code 25. The blink sequence will repeat itself until you turn the key off. If there is more than one fault, you will get multiple fault codes. For example, three short blinks, followed by two long blinks and five short blinks would be fault codes 3 and 25. Post the number of blinks and I will try to tell you what the error code is. Or, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the codes.
If you get only one blink, that repeats about every three seconds, that is a faulty O2 sensor. If a faulty O2 sensor is indicated, first check the wiring and connector. A loose or corroded connection can set off that alarm.

Clearing FaultCodes (From Honda Dude)
Essentially, to clear the codes, you operate the kill switch 5 times with the shunt (shorting device, or paper clip) in place and within 20 seconds of the key switch being tuned on.
I recommend grabbing the safety lanyard very close to the switch that it is attached to so you can pull it to off and push it to on without losing the lanyard.
• Connect the shunting device (technical term for paper clip.)
• Turn on the key switch.
• Pull the safety switch to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off. That should be five times off and on and off within 20 seconds from when you turn the key switch to on. When you get to the fifth time off...you should hear one or two beeps. The codes are clear. If you did not hear the beeps, try again.
• Turn the key switch off
Remove the shunting device and run the engine. Then check for codes again. If all is clear, you may just have had a one time occurrence. If you do have codes, you will just have to troubleshoot depending on the code number that you get.

Last edited:
Update... Finally was able to test after cycling the kill switch several times... Not sure why but everything is working correctly now... Hours are counting and shows correct hours.
thanks for all suggestions!

Back