Logo

cant start my 1982 game fisher

codyb

I have a 1982 game fisher i am trying to get going and im having a hard time getting it started. i can get it to run off starter fluid(i know it is bad for 2 stroke so im not constatly using it only a squirt to see if it would fire) i have cleaned the carb multiple times and i still cant get it to start. i know the fuel pump is good it is a little red rubber thing in the carb, the head was bad i noticed that gas would leak out of it when i tried to start it so i replaced that and it doesnt look like it seals completely, so i think i need to get the head milled. before the head gasket replacemtn i got 60psi in the cylider,not sure if that is good or not. assuming with new gasket i would get little better but havent tested yet. nobody i talk to can give me any info on this motor and i cant find much online this is the first outboard i have tried to restore so im just looking for a little help. iv been told that this motor uses the engine presure as a fuel delivery system so if the head was bad would i not be getting fuel? also i finaly found out what my carb is missing and it is missing the iddle adjustment screw( not completly gone there is a tiny bit of the screw left in the screw hole and the pin is poking thru the carb barley but i have no way to adjust it.

sorry for the poor detials i just have so many questions and no one with answers. anything helps thanks

Firstly you really can't mill the head, and more than likely you would be better off flushing the cylinder deck & getting a used cylinder head and use Indian head gasket shellac for sealant, then I would see what happens, adjust the ide jet screw to "one full one full turn from soft bottom" then adjust in gear on the water to best idle,

I cant say enough about removing the welch plug and cleaning the jets,, and the fuel strainer basket behind the flapper valve

i did clean both of those well. i got it to start last night on gas but it was running horrible and would only stay running at full throttle but it was verry rough almost like a v8 that had 3 cyliders not firing, it would almost die the pop almost die then pop, so im leaning more towards the carb now. the high speed adjustment is just a bolt on the bottom it doesnt have a screw with a needle in it so how should i adjust that one and i cant adjust my iddle the iddle screw is broken off inside the carb. do you know where i may find a spare carb i can piece the two together

I keep and rebuild these carbs & kits A lot! for sale or job as a hobby for may years, the emissions Power Jet ( bowl Bolt ) is one thing but if your idle speed jet/screw is busted off you must come to realize that this jet is a contributor to any run condition, and more so to the idle as its used to lean and richens the idle because it sets behind the throttle buttery fly valve in the venturi at all times ( idle circuit ), what I picture from your description is that you need a good used emissions 7.5 carb because you idle circuit is bleeding.

thats what im thinking too, but i can find a used one anywhere, do you know where i could find one? iv looked all over online, also what engine compression is okay for this engine to have to run?

kimcrwbr1: the motor is a 1982 gamefisher model number 217.585750 7.5 hp and the engine is a tecumseh 640-19b

If you want to PM with a e-mail addy to get back to you we can talk by e-mail about carbs & parts and prices, but I can't do that here, if you read my Eska files post look at the vendors listed you will find www.certifidpartscorp.com which is exactly where all Eska parts are born and the rate is much better.

Back