Logo

Is this end cap crank seal in right? - V4 Johnson

leaky

Regular Contributor
Hi,

After replacing this bottom end cap crank seal I can't seem to get it to fit over the bottom of the crank without it trying to deform. In a very careful attempt the wire spring that runs around the lip actually popped off. It is very close to the right size but just won't seem to maintain it's integrity in order to slip over.

This particular seal I think is an aftermarket one, I have since ordered an OMC.. It is installed oriented the way I took the old one out and how I interpret the diagram.. before I waste another seal though - is it correct? (aside from the excessive sealer ;) )

Is the fit normally very tight over the crank? Was thinking next time will find a socket that is the same size as the crank and use that to guide to keep the integrity of the seal as the end cap is installed (and let the socked just get pushed out was I push the end cap on).

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 41
  • InsideBig.jpg
    InsideBig.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 32
Yes, the seal is installed in the proper direction (spring facing inwards).

The seal part number should be 331103 for that engine model number.

DO NOT attempt to use seal #321668 which is superseded up to 330137. Possibly this is the seal you installed and the reason you're having a problem with it.

Thanks Joe!

The part I was using was supposed to be a 331103 (basically searched on Ebay and found what was advertised as that exact OMC part but showed up without such packaging).. Who knows how the cross reference was done - so that could just have been wrong. I didn't mic it but they looked close enough to convince me to remove the old one and install it.

In the process of removing the old one I completely destroyed it so could not go back and check (when hit with a torch to break the sealant free the seal instantly catches fire).
What's got delivered today is a genuine OMC 331103, so will see what the difference is.

Jon

Back