Logo

intake manifold gasket - sealant/bolts

bobct

Advanced Contributor
Do you guys apply sealant a few threads down on each of the intake manifold bolts? I read that might be a good idea but don't remember if I did that last time on my other engine.

How about eliminating the end rubber gaskets all together? I know I used them last time w/some sealant but I guess a lot of people like to go without them all together. I'm using Permatex "Great Stuff" which I've become a huge fan of recently.

Bob

Do you guys apply sealant a few threads down on each of the intake manifold bolts? I read that might be a good idea but don't remember if I did that last time on my other engine.

How about eliminating the end rubber gaskets all together? I know I used them last time w/some sealant but I guess a lot of people like to go without them all together. I'm using Permatex "Great Stuff" which I've become a huge fan of recently.

Bob

Ayuh,.... I dab sealant on any bolts that go into open holes,...
If it's a blind hole, no reason for sealant,...

'n Yes, I toss the rubber end pieces, 'n run a bead of black Rtv across,...
Then let it skin up, drop the intake on, 'n bolt it down,...

Got it, thanks. Do you install these dry or do you run a bead around any of the oil or coolant passages? I wish I remembered what I did on the other one 4 years ago because it hasn't leaked :)

Has anyone installed these dry... and had them work ok? I called Felpro and they recommended a dry install so I didn't use any RTV around the ports. I did use it on each end and up the valley about 1/2".

It's not the ends I'm worried about it's internal leaking. The surfaces were clean and smooth with no pitting. Installed yesterday and torqued to 30lbs. Felpro does make a marine version w/rubberized material around some/all of the ports.

Before I fill and run, would you re-do?

Bob

Back