Logo

290 dp reverse latch probem

welshswampy

Regular Contributor
Had a problem with the reverse latch mechanism on my early 90's 290 dp, ordered the 4 new springs and changed them ( one turned out to be snapped and the others appeared weak)
However, out fishing yesterday and the same problem reoccurred on entry to the outward lock (drive popped up in reverse)
As we were already out, we decided on a days fishing and to sort it our when we got back
So, whilst trying to dock (without much reverse and with a cross wind) I found I couldn't engage forward, but luckily enough I drifted near to an empty pontoon and moored there for the night
Went down this morning and found the whole reverse latch mechanism had spun on the shaft/pivot tube? managed to manually lift the leg and move the mechanism back central with a short bit of tube, tested it all and it now works fine
Any ideas why the mechanism is turning, as I see it, it should be held closed the whole time unless it takes a hit
Anyone have any pictures of their reverse mechanism so I can see how it should look
Also, the "plate" on the mechanism was buckled when I changed the springs, so I straightened it the best I could
Any pointers?
BTW, before I turned the mechanism back to centre, I disconnected the gear shift linkage and was able to manually put leg into forward and reverse smoothly, it appeared that somehow the spun reverse latch was stopping the selector arm from engaging forward
Hope this makes sense to some of you

Check out page 79 of the VOlvo workshop manual. I tried to extract the page, but the copy I have won't allow and "editing" and as a 181 page document, its too large to attach. Note that if the "Spring Catches" ( 34 and 37) do not engage the horizontal bar on the transom shield when the drive is down, the drive will kick up and the latch will rotate. Make sure that the "Locking Yoke" (41) moves freely when drive is in Neutral but is depressed while in REVERSE.

View attachment 8767

Last edited:
Back