Logo

2006 HONDA 225 Fuel Computer

jrthone

Hi there,

I have a 2006 BF225 Honda Outboard. I also have a Raymarine E7D multifunction screen and Radar.

I need a decent Fuel flow computer as the BF225 is not NMEA compatible. I used to have a Navman 3100 Fuel and the system was great. When i brought the Raymarine E7 i sold the Navman system because i thought the 2013 Raymarine system would have a built in fuel computer. Well how wrong was i. It has been so difficult to get something that works. I have a LMF400 system but to be honest does not even compare to the navman system. What is out there that you guys recommend for my combo. I do a lot of trolling so fuel figures are very important to me

Thanks

No one that I know of has managed to decipher the Honda digital signals that feed the Honda gauges, so I think you will need to give up trying to use the info coming off the ECM, and instead install a stand-alone fuel flow meter that either feeds into your Raymarine NMEA network, or it's own dedicated gauge. Lowrance and Floscan are the two I'm familiar with.

Was there a change in the 225 between 2006 & 2012?

I have a 225 and it interfaces with nmea2000 to my Raymarine E125. I get temperature, tachometer and fuel flow rate.
Previously I had a lowrance 37c and the engine interfaced directly to that.
The Raymarine does not provide the same level of diagnostics (like hours etc) for the engine but it does receive the fuel flow data and using the Raymarine Fuel Manager it does give fuel usage and rate, BUT I must have the display on at all times the motor is running. (it obviously keeps a running log).
Its actually a little frustrating that the Raymarine does not just handle all the engine data, but then the Lowrance didn't give me a fuel flow rate at all.
(probably because they wanted to flog me a fuel manager for another $175)
I think there is a lot of data to be had from the 225 but its not available without a Honda diagnostic tool.

I suspect Honda have proprietary sentences and haven't released them. Other engines use an NMEA2000 PGN127497 sentence which provides all the fuel/trip information. I assume that is what the flowscan & Lowrance use.

Lowrance have a way to handle new devices and if someone was to get the Honda PGNs it could be displayed on the Lowrance, but it appears the Raymarine don't have this facility (yet)

Was there a change in the 225 between 2006 & 2012?

I have a 225 and it interfaces with nmea2000 to my Raymarine E125. I get temperature, tachometer and fuel flow rate.
Previously I had a lowrance 37c and the engine interfaced directly to that.
The Raymarine does not provide the same level of diagnostics (like hours etc) for the engine but it does receive the fuel flow data and using the Raymarine Fuel Manager it does give fuel usage and rate, BUT I must have the display on at all times the motor is running. (it obviously keeps a running log).
Its actually a little frustrating that the Raymarine does not just handle all the engine data, but then the Lowrance didn't give me a fuel flow rate at all.
(probably because they wanted to flog me a fuel manager for another $175)
I think there is a lot of data to be had from the 225 but its not available without a Honda diagnostic tool.

I suspect Honda have proprietary sentences and haven't released them. Other engines use an NMEA2000 PGN127497 sentence which provides all the fuel/trip information. I assume that is what the flowscan & Lowrance use.

Lowrance have a way to handle new devices and if someone was to get the Honda PGNs it could be displayed on the Lowrance, but it appears the Raymarine don't have this facility (yet)

Thanks for your reply. What year is your engine(2012 Im guessing from your above post) Im pretty sure Honda BF225 went NMEA compliant from 2010 onwards.

Ok I may have a solution...

I needed to get accurate fuel figures from my honda 225hp 2006's.

In my case I have installed the digital speedometer (it's not very cheap about 600 bucks in the USA) by doing this you will have very accurate fuel usage figures... I can walk you through installing it if you decide to go down the path... I run the digital speedometer (it will give me total fuel use, km/L, and all those sorts of figures) I am still running the traditional analog tacho's as they are a lot easier to see/use.

anyhow if you need a hand get in touch... I also sent CHawk a copy of a wiring diagram I found helpful.

Either way... hope you have found an answer... it wasn't cheap but that was the best one I could come up with and the fuel use figures are spot on.

Rob

Yes, the Honda digital gauges are very accurate when it comes to fuel flow, usage variance is no more than +/- 2.5 gallons on a 100 gallon fill-up. BUT they are expensive and I find them not easy to read even in side my cabin.

Re: 2006 twin HONDA 225 Fuel Computer

i have twin bf225 2006 rigged with digital gagues dont get the gph reading everything els works fine
is any one have the schematic drawing
thank you guys
Ok I may have a solution...

I needed to get accurate fuel figures from my honda 225hp 2006's.

In my case I have installed the digital speedometer (it's not very cheap about 600 bucks in the USA) by doing this you will have very accurate fuel usage figures... I can walk you through installing it if you decide to go down the path... I run the digital speedometer (it will give me total fuel use, km/L, and all those sorts of figures) I am still running the traditional analog tacho's as they are a lot easier to see/use.

anyhow if you need a hand get in touch... I also sent CHawk a copy of a wiring diagram I found helpful.

Either way... hope you have found an answer... it wasn't cheap but that was the best one I could come up with and the fuel use figures are spot on.

Rob

I have the 2006 BF225's and the original Honda gages, the fuel flow and total fuel usage shown on the gages are spot on. Have no idea what the temperature is though....

Back