Logo

1974 Carina Runabout Question

utahgeordie

I have a 1974 19ft carina runabout fitted with a 160 hp mercruiser stern drive. The problem I have is that I can't find the fuel tank sender unit so can somebody please help:confused::confused::confused:

Its on top of the gas tank so you need to locate that first, then look for a access hatch pop in or screw in plate in the floor. Follow the main fill hose to the tank

Thanks so much ! that is very helpful. There is actually no hole or access hatch of any kind and yes the fuel gauge is not working which is what sent me here. I have another question i'm not sure if you can answer or not? because of the age of the engine, it stipulates to use "Leaded gasoline only" the guy that I bought it from took it out probably 7 years ago or so and i'm guessing that he used regular gas but i'm not sure? Can I presume that it's safe to use regular unleaded gasoline? Thanks again for your help.

Thanks so much ! that is very helpful. There is actually no hole or access hatch of any kind and yes the fuel gauge is not working which is what sent me here. I have another question i'm not sure if you can answer or not? because of the age of the engine, it stipulates to use "Leaded gasoline only" the guy that I bought it from took it out probably 7 years ago or so and i'm guessing that he used regular gas but i'm not sure? Can I presume that it's safe to use regular unleaded gasoline? Thanks again for your help.

Ayuh,.... That's Correct,....

1974 - 1975 was a point when unleaded fuel was introduced. Engines were being built w/hardened valve seats around that period. As bondo said, you will be ok. If it bothers you then mix your fuel w/a product called Instead of Lead...vintage car owners use it.

Back