Logo

1972 Evinrude 9.5 sportwin. wont stay running.

gyouska

Hey everyone I have had this motor since last fall I used a couple times ran great. I pulled it out this spring used a couple more times no problem. now the motor will not stay running for more than a few seconds. I new spark plugs in it and I have cleaned the carb out which looked like it was new anyway. I have take off fuel lines and squeeze the bulb and the fuel is for sure making it up to the carb. I have a spray bottle with fuel and the motor will start if I spray it into the intake but then dies. I finally got the motor running without the spray bottle but it still only runs for a few seconds. It also revs high when it does fire up. I have replaced the spark plugs so and it does fire up when I spray fuel into the intake so I know it is getting spark and my fuel is good. I have narrowed it down to a couple of things. I think either the fuel pump is not working properly or there is some sort of internal gasket leak or something that is letting the pressure escape. The engine when starts will fire a little before sputtering and dying. If i increase the throttle the engine will run a little longer but will still die at some point no matter the speed. I am unsure what to check. I am having a hard time finding parts and instructions for this particular motor. also could a bad impeller cause this?

Report the results of a compression test.-----Then check to see if the spark will jump a gap of 1/4" or more with a snap you can hear.-------Assuming spark is " good " does not work on these motors.--------If motor ran for 10 / 15 seconds before quitting that would point to the fuel pump.

ok I will check that I can get ahold of a compression guage but might not be till atleast tomorrow. how can I check the spark as you were saying. please give me some more detail of what to do.

Are the spark plugs wet when you pull them out? If so see if they burn with a lighter. Water in the tank will give you these symptoms also. Pull the plug on the bottom of the float bowl and pump fuel into a cup and see if water is on the bottom? It`s that time of year to service the motor may as well as go through everything and get it ready for the summer.

what is the float bowl?

I think it must be fuel pump related. I took the carb off filled the reservior with fuel then put it back together. it started and ran then died. I took the carb back off and the reservior was bone dry so it must not be getting replenished by the fuel pump. though when I take the fuel line from pump to carb off and squeeze the bulb fuel comes through the line so there is definitely no blockage in the fuel lines or carb itself. I think the fuel pump is not working properly.

If your getting fuel through the pump but cannot prime the carb the carb needs rebuilt or cleaned. Replace the fuel lines and clean the pump at the same time.[/QUOTE There is surely nothing wrong with the Carb I have sprayed all jets and holes out with carb cleaner and no ports are blocked whatsover it is extremely clean like I said it is looks like it has been recently rebuilt. The carb works for whatever reason the fuel just is not being primed with fuel tho I can take the carb apart and squeeze the bulb and watch fuel run through the carb. once I start it tho the resevior runs dry so something is not keeping the fuel supplied. LIke I said I think it must be the fuel pump.

You can try cleaning the fuel pump just be careful takeing it apart. Takeing pics and lay it out on a clean bench in the order you take it apart and watch for little parts. It is also recommended to replace the fuel lines the old ones will likely plug up the carb when messed with. It may be difficult to find a fuel pump kit for that little pump if the diaphram is stiff or has a hole it needs replaced. Alot of times the little check valve flippers get a chunk of crap keeping the valve from closing all the way.
Does anyone have a diagram for the fuel pump?

The bulb does not get hard. The pin on the float works fine like I said the carb is like brand new no build up of any kind I took the pin out. I will try taking the fuel pump apart and see the condition of it.

anyone know of any cheap gaskets or even a gasket set? I really wanna take the head off and clean the piston heads I can see alot of carbon buildup through the plug holes.

bro that is what I am telling you look the needle is clear it is not blocked or fouled in any way. when I squeeze the bulb fuel does come into the reservior but when the engin is started the fuel does not flow to the carb the engine runs and burns up all fuel inside the carb before dieing. when I check the carb after it dies it is dry. fuel will only go to the carb by manually hand squeezing the bulb but will not flow through while running via suction something is messing it up. which I think is fuel pump. THe bulb will fill the carb but it will not refill on its own when running. in theory you would need to constanly squeeze the bulb to keep the engine from running out of fuel.

Hello all jew to thread new to outboards so I habe a 72 I think evinrude sport twin I'm super shape I rebuilt the card have a new hose and primer and all well it will try and crank on carb but wont but if I pull of feul line to carb and stick over the carb it will run not great but runs but the gas seems to he just a trickle coming out of hose when of and I pull start it it seems like ots jist a small squirt I was wandering if I habe a bad fuel pump

How far below the fuel pump level is your fuel tank? Anything more than a 1 meter lift may be asking alot for that old pump.

I found the pump 15 bucks so I am going to try that when it comes in but like I said got fuel to carb bowl has gas just not getting it from carb to motor and when it runs with hose off over carb it's a very small trickle coming through unless I hit primer bulb then it will squirt good

No i camt get it to crank off carb at all but is getting fuel to carb just not from carb to motor but if o pull the line off carb and set it so it trickle into intake the it will crank right up and run good at wot but is just a trickle of fuel coming out of line filter screen is clean and will squirt real good off primer bulb but not that much off fuel pump

Probably some restriction in the carb then too. If the carb was okay, it would run just by squeezing the primer bulb.

Back