Logo

1994 J15RERE Performace issue two stroke

ablack617

I have a 1994 J15RERE that always has started well when cold but once the engine warms up it does not like to start. It will end up flooding. If left to cool longer than 30 min it will start right back up again. Another issue is that it seems to sound sluggish at wot just does't sound like its wound out, has muffled sound to it.

I finally got a compression tester and tested it today. Before starting the engine the compression on the top cycl is 118 ish and the bottom is 120. After letting the engine run for 10 in to warm up the compression goes down to 80 on both cycl. I figured that the compression would go up as the engine warms up as the engine parts expand with temperature. Correct me if I am wrong but the low compression would explain why the engine is so difficult to start after it warms up?

I have powerhead gasket kit on the way as the head gasket looked like it was leaking in the middle between the two cyclinders due to the carbon present at that spot and the shininess of the rest of the gasket. I will check the head to confirm if it is warpped.

This is my first time tearing a motor apart so I am wondering how to tell if the rings need to be replaced and if there is anything else that will cause loss of compression once the engine warms up.

Water pump is ok.

Thanks,
Anthony

Piece of glass and emery paper.---Rub the head on there and see how it is " low in the middle "-------All outboard cylinder heads are warped after a few years of use !!----You can remove the exhaust cover on one side of the motor to inspect pistons and rings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I checked the head and found a obvious high low spot in the center. I attached a picture. Also I have a picture of the top side of the headgasket. There was a lot of carbon build up in the center, I had removed some of it before I took the picture. I am hoping some more experienced people can weigh in on what you see in the pictures let me know if I am on the right track. I am going to do the emery paper on a flat surface to flatten the head. The low spot is in the center.

Last edited:
Back