Logo

Engine lost oil pressure and all oil

89Renkenmaster

Hello,
I have a 1989 Renken 1700 inboard/outboard with a 2.3L Ford engine, bought the boat last October and ran out until November when I winterized it. Started it up this spring in the back yard and everything was great, put it in the water yesterday and ran fine for a good 3 hours, note the oil pressure was good as well, so I put it in the water today and ran it for about an hour, as I was headed back to the dock I noticed my oil pressure drop to about 40psi, then when I got to the dock it was at 20psi. Thinking it might just be low on oil I put a quart in. Started it up and oil pressure was back up, left the dock and it dropped to little to no pressure and started to tick bad, limped it to the dock and shut her down. The oil was then down in the bilge. Looked to be leaking from the right side of the engine, not exactly sure where from. My question is what would cause a leak this fast and where it could be leaking from? I'm new to the boating world so help would be awesome :)
Thank you.

Hello,
I have a 1989 Renken 1700 inboard/outboard with a 2.3L Ford engine, bought the boat last October and ran out until November when I winterized it. Started it up this spring in the back yard and everything was great, put it in the water yesterday and ran fine for a good 3 hours, note the oil pressure was good as well, so I put it in the water today and ran it for about an hour, as I was headed back to the dock I noticed my oil pressure drop to about 40psi, then when I got to the dock it was at 20psi. Thinking it might just be low on oil I put a quart in. Started it up and oil pressure was back up, left the dock and it dropped to little to no pressure and started to tick bad, limped it to the dock and shut her down. The oil was then down in the bilge. Looked to be leaking from the right side of the engine, not exactly sure where from. My question is what would cause a leak this fast and where it could be leaking from? I'm new to the boating world so help would be awesome :)
Thank you.

Ayuh,.... The Only way to know where it's leakin' from is to LOOK,....

I'll Guess it's a rotten, rusted through oil pan,...

I'm also Guessin' this is an OMC driveline, so yer postin' in the wrong forum, ya oughta be postin' in the OMC I/O forum,...

Back