Logo

Best Oil for 175 Black Max Merc

JasonRE

What's the best oil to run in my 175 Merc, and where do you guys/gals buy in bulk?

Looking for some good pricing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Currently running
[h=4]Quicksilver Premium 2-Cycle Outboard Oil[/h]

In general -

If you mix your oil and gas in the tank, regular old "dinosaur" oil is fine.

If you use the oil injection system of the motor (if equipped) a semi-synthetic is a better choice since you are relying on a "good mix" in the small volume of gas/oil that meet each other at the fuel pump.

If you are running a DFI outboard (Optimax) the fully synthetic "DFI" oil is required because the oil and gas never mix until they get to the cylinder (by which time the oil has done most of it's work in protecting the engine).

Contrary to what a dealer or the manual might "suggest", any TCW-3 rated oil is sufficient to run in your 2 stroke "water cooled" outboard.

Walmart tends to be the "cheapest" (their house brand) and it's just fine to use.

Love my engines, all five of them. Youngest one is 23 years old. All run wally-oil and have for the, collectively 10,000+ hours of their service life. They are going to outlive me even if I don't run them with oil from the "Merc" refinery.

Evidently you don't "Love" your engines.

Use crap oil and you will have a crap engine.

There is no discussion here.

Use good oil and you will not have problems. Quicksilver Premium 2-Cycle Outboard Oil, keep using it.

Last edited:
0007450990847_500X500.jpgFrom Mercury Marine -

What alternative/equivalent 2-cycle oils are available when I can't purchase Mercury Marine Precision Lubricants or Quicksilver brands of oil?

If Quicksilver or Mercury Precision Lubricants outboard oil is not available, substitute another brand of 2-cycle outboard oil that is NMMA Certified TC-W3.

Agree - nothing to discuss. Best to take the advice of the manufacturer.

I'm with Graham on this.I drove petrol and diesel tankers for quite a few years and as I filled my generic tank at the depot the "BIG" brands,who were shouting about "Cleaner" this and added that and so on and so forth,were in the bay next to me filling their logo carrying tankers.The difference in what they were pumping and what I was pumping? Zilch .Plus the fuel I was loading,on many occasions, was been taken to a branded pump.And if anyone was able to add any aditives while I was top loading,well they must have been invisible.
It is the same with any other product.Whether it is bread,gas,diesel,washing machine,breakfast cereal,television set.Few manufacturers,many brands.
Plus any product must meet certain standards for it's application and if you use the oil that meets the standards required by the tool,outboard,vehicle etc. etc.that you are using then there will be no problem,doesn't matter the brand.

Last edited:
Back