Logo

4hp Yamaha outboard 2 stroke please help

andzman

I purchased a used Yamaha 4hp 2 Stroke motor. I do not have the exact year but it is approximately 10 years old. It runs great out of the water. Starts right up and runs fine in a big barrel of water. It is used on a 12 foot small aluminum boat. I took the motor out on the water. It started right up but when I apply throttle it stalls right away. I started it up again and the same thing happened. I could not start it again during that outing. I had to paddle home. My arms still hurt :) I had nothing in the boat except for myself and I cant imagine the motor being underpowered. Do I need to let it warm for a long period of time? What could be the issue? Damn Craigslist... Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you for the help,
Andy

Andy... If you are a DIY'er and are handy, go to your nearest auto parts place and buy a few cans of carb cleaner with the straws attached as well as that 1 gallon bucket of carb cleaner with the submersion screen included that you can pull the carbs and submerge them for a while. Sink the carbs after you have pulled them and saved all the gaskest. Then sink all for the recommended period of time and then pull it and blow all out of the little orifices you can find on them with the carb cleaner and that straw. Put them back with the gaskets you saved and see if that fixes your problem. Save all the rubber gaskets you find when you break the carbs down and don't sink them in that carb cleaner... They are usually fine and can often be re-used for one break down if they look OK.

Back