Logo

Can I remove VRO pump and replace with regular fuel pump? 1989 40hp Johnson

vibeline

Howdy Folks,
I'm new here thanks for the help in advance.
I have a 1989 40hp johnson I pre-mix the gas and oil,
The boat was setup for premix when I got it.
Can I take the vro pump off and put a old style fuel pump on it?
If I change pumps What do I do with the plug that plugs into the vro pump?

Issues
The engine starts hard when it is cold out. (yes the choke works)
The primer bulb never gets hard. (I put a new hose assembly on, the primer bulb still never gets hard)
The clear in-line fuel filter is almost empty all the time. (it used to stay full)
The engine idles fine.
The engine runs well in the low and mid range. (up to 2800-3000 rpm)
The engine will purr all day at 3000 rpm with absolutely no problems
The engine will not go to WOT under load.

Thanks again folks,
Cheers,
Jim

Just install a pump for the 48 HP special model, most years of that model.-------Fits right on the side of upper cylinder.--Install pipe plug for VRO pulse hole.-------------I would do a compression test and check that spark jumps a gap of 3/8" or more on both.---Bulb must go hard , if not there is a problem with carburetor float valves or fuel pump diaphragm.

Thanks for the reply racerone.
I went to my local johnson/brp dealer today they had the fuel pump in stock. (48 HP special model) $142 OUCH
top cylinder has 115 lbs compression
bottom cylinder has 110 lbs compression (not the greatest but plenty to ignite the air/fuel mixture)

I had a goofey looking champion spark plug with a long ground electrode on it so I bent it the best I could the gap was .275"
The spark wanted to jump to the side, the gap is only .140" from the center electrode to the ground electrode where it is attached to the threads.
About every 3 cranks the spark would jump the .275' gap.
how the heck do you make the spark jump 3/8" ?
Please advise.
I will post results after I change the fuel pump.
thanks again racerone.
Cheers,
Jim

Just install a pump for the 48 HP special model, most years of that model.-------Fits right on the side of upper cylinder.--Install pipe plug for VRO pulse hole.-------------I would do a compression test and check that spark jumps a gap of 3/8" or more on both.---Bulb must go hard , if not there is a problem with carburetor float valves or fuel pump diaphragm.

Thanks for the input kimcrwbr1.
Update.
I bought the spark tester today at Princess Auto.
The spark jumps a 3/8 gap on both cylinders.
Very strong spark at that distance..
I will change the fuel pump one day this week.
Cheers,
Jim

Back