Logo

OMC 25HP 2 stroke

ubuntu2014

Hi guys just getting my old boat ready for the season and I can only select one forward gear. My question is does this engine have a second forward gear? I not long bought the boat and I am not familiar with this engine
Evinrude 25HP 2 stroke Model No HE25KCLG

Any comments appreciated

Last edited:
There is no second gear in forward..-----You have forward. ---you have nuetral.-----------you have reverse.---------I suppose you may think that it shift gears when a boats gets up on plane.-------The boat speeds up because drag is reduced and not because it shifts to second gear.

There is no second gear in forward..-----You have forward. ---you have nuetral.-----------you have reverse.---------I suppose you may think that it shift gears when a boats gets up on plane.-------The boat speeds up because drag is reduced and not because it shifts to second gear.
Thanks for that. I am a bit wiser now. Totally new to boating and still learning lots. I live in Ireland and bought this shetland boat in november last. Had one test run on 31st march and launch and retrieve went ok. 6 hours on the water and i tested in the water ingress by removing the bung. just 2 pints ingress over 6 hours - not bad but obviously a small crack or leak somewhere. Found it now and repaired it and going for another test run on tuesday so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply. I live in Ireland so a bit expensive for me to call Seattle lol. I am told by a friend here that that engine is either 1981 or 1982 so i will ideally have to get a more up to date one sooner or later.

Thanks guys for all the help I will check out the relevant websites etc. Test run tomorrow on Lough Derg. Engine running a bit smokey at home today but idles ok and does the gears and revs. May have been older fuel in the carb that just needs to work its way through. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Thanks guys for all the help I will check out the relevant websites etc. Test run tomorrow on Lough Derg. Engine running a bit smokey at home today but idles ok and does the gears and revs. May have been older fuel in the carb that just needs to work its way through. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Got to Dromineer and launched fine. Decided to start with a few circles of the harbour. But...during our third circle of the harbour there I think I may have overstretched the revs remote and over-revving seemed to prevent me changing gear. Good job we hadnt headed for open water. Instead of hitting the kill switch I panicked and kept trying to engage neutral. So I was still in gear and too close to rocks!!! Result - bent propeller. Then I hit the kill switch lol. Retreived and got home and with my son (cos I'm blind as a bat for closework) we inspected the engine for the problem. Found that the retaining screw that holds the remote sleeve onto the cable had fallen out so i was able to increase revs but not reduce them. APPARENTLY there is a mechanism on my engine (maybe all engines) that prevents gearchanges at higher revs. After my son finding that out by observation and replacing the sleeve screw we were able to fix the problem and having removed the bent propeller we tested the engine again. Everything is ok again now apart from the bent propeller which i presume I can just hammer back into shape on the anvil. Scary but a real lesson. Another try one day during next week.

Back