Logo

1955 15hp evinrude control setup

JK_Jeep

Hi everyone. I'm new here and came across this site while looking for an answer to a question I had. So far I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for so its time to ask.

A little background. I just picked up a 1955 (I think, based on serial number) 15hp Evinrude fastwin. Its in great shape, runs well, idles down to trolling speed, and is super clean. It does need a paint job but that's no big deal.

Anyway. The motor is setup for and has the hand tiller installed. It also has the locks for the cables to run remote setup. I would like to set it up for remote. Now my question. Can I set this up with modern controls with out going nuts having to fabricate all sorts of things? I don't mind doing a little fab but I don't want to spend excessive time and money. I have found articles on using the old omc shift/throttle boxes, and one on the old cable over sheave steering but not on using newer components.

I'd like to use a push / pull steering cable setup and a two lever control like this one from teleflex. http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...=11069&familyName=Teleflex+Top-Mount+Controls

Is any of this possible or just a pipe dream? Any insight you can offer would be great. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help Kimcrwbr1. This gives me a starting point. I'll keep my eye on cragslist in my area for an older control setup.

That binnacle mount control that you linked to will work on your Fastwin. You would need the correct fittings to connect the cables at the motor end. I haven't looked lately, but in the past they were very available.

<br>
That binnacle mount control that you linked to will work on your Fastwin. You would need the correct fittings to connect the cables at the motor end. I haven't looked lately, but in the past they were very available.

OK, I searched this far: http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-...son-Pre-1979-Cable-CA27321P-Rev.1-IS-7704.pdf

I haven't found the listing for the cable locks yet, but I believe they are there somewhere.

Funny I was looking on seastarsolutions page last night. I was reading the install guide for the controls, and I also found the cables. I just wasn't sure if the control end on the cable will work with the control. I didn't see the adapter kit. This is good news! and my motor already has the cable locks on it. So it looks like it should be good to go. Best part is Jamestown Distributors is close by so I can run over there and get everything with them.

It will be awhile before I get this setup (I'm building a wooden Brockway skiff) but I'll come back and share pics.

The 33C cables use a different type of lock than the OMC cables do. Just a bit of history: The 33c cables and controls were developed by Morse Controls. They were pretty universal, adaptable to most anything. Of course, this is 2014 and many changes have been made. One of the changes is Teleflex bought the Morse Controls company. At that time, Teleflex was already making their version of the Morse design and copies of their cables. So what you get is what survived the merge, plus Teleflex's own new designs.

This page from the 1998 Morse catalog shows the cable clips (locks) for adapting 33C cables to old Evinrudes. Time takes its toll on memory, but I believe 31419 is the one you need.

Attachments

• img018.jpg
    img018.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Back