Logo

I don't understand marine engines

nervusvagus

Greetings. I recently got my certification in sailing and preparing to cruise the Greek islands in early autumn. However I realized I dont know anything about diesel engines. I learned most of the things I know from online and would love to find a source to tell me the basics of engines, preferable Yanmar engines, and help me see the engine as it is. Right now I dont even know which part is considered front and which part is back and how to identify what east belt and hose does.

Does anybody know of a source, online education, a pdf book that could help me with this? Or at least point me to a diagram or an illustration which identifies what I see 4 sides when I look at a marine diesel engine?

Last edited:
Go to the top of this page and click on "Forum Home" then scroll down to "Diesel Inboard Engines" then click on "Yanmar" Ask your question there. This link may take you straight there...http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?20-Yanmar

If you know the year and model of the engine you can probably find a users/owners manual online.I believe all the Yanmar's have the same basic design, so most any Yanmar manual will give you the basics.

Have a great trip!

Back