Logo

Optima Deep Cycle battery reliabilty

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
icon1.png
Optima Deep Cycle battery reliabilty

Optima Batteries Blue Top, Deep Cycle Battery, Group Size 34, 750 CCA

Has anyone used one of these batteries in their boat for powering a trolling Motor? How did it perform for you over a long day of fishing on the lake? Can it be charged w/a standard onboard charger?

Going to use it w/a 46 lb. thrust MotorGuide trolling motor.

As far as charging if you use the motor charging then yes that is fine. If you use a plug in charger you may need one that is capable of AGM type charging vs lead plate......
What is odd is you can use these batteries in a starting capacity with any auto/marine charging system but for some reason when hooking up to a plug in charger or maintainer it appears you need a "special" one.

I think if it is a "smart" charger it will work on any battery except lithium Ion

Thanks guys for the info. I'll just stick to the $100 deep cycle batteries w/1 yr warranties instead of the $230 optima. When the patent for this technology runs out then the price will drop in line with other batteries.

Thanks kghost...that's what I have been finding....Optima batteries holds the patent on the coiled cell technology thus they control the market price until their patent expires. I'll just get another 50 lb. deep cycle. I have been reading a lot about some people have had WalMart deep cycle batteries lasting 4-7 yrs and others a year or two. Might ck them out.

Back