Logo

Optima Deep Cycle battery reliabilty

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor

Optima Batteries Blue Top, Deep Cycle Battery, Group Size 34, 750 CCA

Has anyone used one of these batteries in their boat for powering a trolling Motor? How did it perform for you over a long day of fishing on the lake? Can it be charged w/a standard onboard charger?

I had a pair of these (group 27) as house batteries on my big boat. They are spiral grid (or whatever they are calling it now) made by Exide battery (ya, the one that went bankrupt just recently). We deal with Exide where I work so got a (fair) deal on a pair. Figured if they maybe lasted twice as long as the standard deep cycles they would be worth it.

They lasted 3 or 4 seasons (don't remember exactly) but did not go with them come replacement time.

Had been using the "house brand" of deep cycle from West Marine. They stopped carrying the "cheapies" so got my last pair from Walmart for under 100 bucks a battery. I did not notice any "extended use" benefit with any of the batteries I have used, and I do have power management monitors on my cruiser.

My experience has been that the cheap ones last almost as long as the "premium" batteries that cost twice as much and I didn't feel the spiral grids were worth the premium.

(should have added I use the cheapest AGM's I can find, don't use the older wet cells at all)

As to charging. These, like many deep cycles require an AGM setting (or auto compatibility) on the charger to make sure you don't cook them/shorten their life, so just have to check your on-board charger. I run a three bank Pro-Mariner smart system and let it worry about it :)

Thanks for the informative response Graham. I think I'll just stick to the standard $100 deep cycle w/1 yr warranty that I can get for $80 where I work.

Back