Logo

nissan 40 hp TLDI won't start without ether

notamechanic1

I have a 2003 40 hp TLDI which will not cold start unless I spray ether in the air intake. Once it hits on this it will run fine, until it cools off again. There's no choke on a fuel injected system but it acts like the engine is not automatically adjusting the fuel/air ratio for a richer cold start mixture? For years, I never even had to pump the bulb, now I have to remove the cowl and spray ether every time.

The TLDI design is not especially conducive to a shade tree mechanic approach at repairs. You are likely correct in that the ECU is not adjusting the pulse width for the injectors. That could be due to a poor connection to a sensor, a bad sensor, a bad ECU... many things. If you are comfortable turning wrenches and using analog multimeters, pick up a Factory service manual, and start the diagnostics. Typically, the TLDI will tell you what it sees, and any errors, in diagnostic mode. Otherwise, I recommend you see a dealer for service.

I realize that taking it to a dealer would be best. But this would likely take 2 months to wait for parts that could be overnighted, and I would end up paying $350 to snap on a $15 sensor. I thought somebody out there has recently had this same starting trouble and might say "this happened to me and I almost guarantee you it's that little sensor on the top left side" or something like that.

Any competent TLDI technician will start with the Factory service manual as a guide, and then go into diagnostic mode and see what conditions are recorded by the ECU. Similar to what an automotive tech would do using the OBD2 connector of a modern car. Based on that information, the tech then takes electrical and mechanical tests/readings to fully diagnose the problem. Typically, the tech then replaces or repairs the issue, and the problem is corrected.

Long story short, there aren't really any shortcuts to doing a competent repair on a TLDI.

If you have average mechanical skills, decent tools (including an analog -- not digital ohm meter), and follow the troubleshooting section of the Factory manual, you should be able to work on the motor with confidence.

Dealers can get parts promptly -- we get ours from the Dallas warehouse by 2nd day air in most cases -- there isn't any reason to wait months, unless the part is not in stock in Japan, and has to be manufactured. Any dealer can provide you with the parts you order.

Back