Logo

Aluminum Buick 225 questions

buick225

Hello all, I am very new to this forum so I hope this thread is in the right place. There is an old 1970s era (I think) Cabin Cruiser with a Buick 225 V6 in the woods on my great uncles farm. The boat itself is unfortunately waaay too far gone for there to be any hopes of getting it sea worthy again (shotgun slug holes and it is rotting into the dirt). I do however have a few questions about the motor in it. One, am i correct in assuming that this is an all aluminum engine, and does it have cast iron cylinder sleeves? Two, are the block and heads worth anything in the sense of SELLING it to be rebuilt and used. Lastly, if there are any cracks in the block (very likely) then I plan on selling it for scrap and I might scrap it anyway if I can get more for it at the scrapyard. Does anyone have a reason that I shouldn't, like is it at all a rare or desirable engine? Sorry for the lengthly post and thanks for any light that you can shed on the subject.

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... Donno where ya got the idea it's an aluminum block, it's just an old cast iron antique motor,...

Re: Buick 225 questions

Ok, thanks for replying. the short explanation to as why I assumed that is that I read it on the "almighty internet", and wishful thinking. So now that I'm not gonna bother scrapping it, is there any value in the motor or the stern drive housing or motor mount hardware?
-Thanks

Even if it were a Aluminum Buick V8 215, those have been superceded by the Rover version which reached the pinnacle of it's development in 2002 with the 4.6. In 2003 the "new" Range Rover was fit with a different engine and the old Buick variant was no more. I have a 3.9 one sitting around if you want to fool with putting it in a (fresh water only) boat. They aren't worth much. I can't even give mine away!

Back