Logo

Honda BF150 Won't Start

Absolutely,

You guys have saved my ass for sure!!! I can do the work and I am pretty good with the shop manual but having someone that knows what they are talking about guiding you along is SOOOO helpful!!!

I will post up once the parts come in and get it back together.

I does look like it is on backorder. Some are due to Honda 4/23. As boats.net said, those dates change often. Hopefully, they have already placed their order to Honda to get in line for priority.

They can also file a special form to expedite it, if it is causing an out of service condition...which it is. Sometimes that helps.

MIke

Mike

Thanks Mike,

4/23 would be great but I am not holding my breath. The order is in with Honda, but I don't know about priority.

Stay tuned.

Making progress now, got the parts, or at least most of them, and decided to put it back together and see how it went. I got all of the linkage back together and just hit the starter and BAM it kicked over. I didn't start it just made sure it was getting to the starter. My guess is either the spring just got a little "opened" or something was either loose or out of alignment.

Installed the new cables to the remote and WOW, smooth as mothers milk!!! I have not attached them to the linkage yet but already a huge difference. You were right Mike just move them with your finger tips.

OKAY, now onto the stupid questions.

I was putting everything back together and I have a three wire connector that I have NO idea what the hell it goes to.

Here are a couple of pictures....

This is where all of the wires come into the motor, and just below it is the round connector that is attached to the neutral switch bracket.

Here is a close up of the wires...Red/White-White/Blue and Yellow/black

Any idea where the hell this goes would really help me. I thought maybe it was the tilt switch but I can't find where it connects to.

I am glad you got things working.

The connector is for the Pgm light and the charge warning lights. It may just be an extra connector. Normally, the 150's have a 6 pin connector that connects to a 6 pin plug/connector on the wiring harness. Check your wiring harness to see if there are three pigtails that come off the at the engine end. A 14 pin (round), a 3 pin (pictured) and a 6 pin. The wiring harness was set up in the early 2000's so that it would rig a 115/130 hp which had a 3 pin connector. It later changed to a 6 pin, which is used on all fuel injected motors now.

So, I think you will find the 6 pin connector in there somewhere. If not, let me know...it could be that a 130 was originally installed on the boat and they upgraded to a 150 and did not modify the wiring harness. It is easy to do it you need to.

Mike

I know this is the original motor that came with the boat and has always been a 150. There is a six pin connector right next to the 13 pin round one, they are both held on the neutral switch bracket.

I can't believe I didn't make note of what the hell it was!

I will double check it tomorrow.

Got everything back together.....man new cables are AWESOME. Now I see just how crappy the old ones were. Tested the neutral switch again and it is working.

Even had time to take the motor off and install a new bilge pump.

Gonna take it out Saturday and make sure everything is good to go.

Mike, thank you doesn't really seem like enough. You definitely saved my ass through this whole process!

I just experienced this problem on both my Honda's, on mine after I had removed both outboard to rebuild my transom. it ended up being the 30 amp fuse on one of my 200. And the other one was a white wire with black stripe that connects in front of motor where all the electrical harness are. Actually it is paired in the same wire loom as the big white harness that plugs into the black harness. Hope this helps someone down the line.

Back