Logo

Commander 2000 wiring help

systemicchanges

I have a diagram of the remote, it says what color the wires are, but not what those wires do. I found a website that seems to have some kind of explanation of what the wires are, but it's a little confusing. The only thing I need help with is what's called the tachometer/accessories harness connector. This is what that looks like.

View attachment 227465

My other remote had a harness that came off of it that had a red wire, purple wire for the tach, orange wire for the warning horn, and a ground wire.

This one has, as you can see, a black, grey, purple wire connected to the molex, and a tan and brown/white wire. I'm assuming the black is ground. I did some voltage tests with key off/on; I did not do these with the motor running. I get about 2.5 to 3v on the purple with the key off, 12.6v (which is what the battery reads) with the key on. The grey wire gives off 11.97v no matter whether the key is on or off. I tested the other two wires, got 7.5v on one, and right at 12v, on the other, but I can't remember which one was which and if the key was on or off. I'm thinking it was on. On the diagram I've got, it seems that the warning horn is installed inside the control box? On my other control, this wasn't the case.

So...Is purple 12v positive? If it is, then why do I still get voltage with the key off? Is the grey tachometer? It looks like the solid tan is for a temp gauge, and the brown/white for a trim indicator? There's also another wire by itself next to the plug, that also looks tan.

Can anyone help out?

Okay, so after some more testing, I decided that the purple wire had to be positive, so by deduction the grey wire had to be tach. The tan wire makes the buzzer go off (which is inside the remote) when grounded. I used a test light with lead attached to negative on battery, and touched the point to the terminal on the tan wire to achieve this. the brown/white wire does nothing, because it's not connected to anything on the motor side. I think this wire is for either temp or trim indicator.

So still not sure about the brown/white wire, and the tan wire by the plug near the controls (gives off no voltage that I remember). Not sure if I need to hook the tan wire that makes the buzzer go off somewhere (has voltage)?

Any ideas?

Back