Logo

Hydrolocked Engine

Teejay63

Gentlemen I need your help

My 318 Strd eng has seized. I believe to Hydrolock

The Eng began to run very rough and would not idle. I checked the Points and they were the worst I have ever seen

It is at this time I had to go out of town for a month.

Upon my return I changed the Points and while cranking the engine over to set the gap it seized

I checked the Spark Plugs and found water and rust sludge in Clylinders 2 - 4 Pull the Exh Manifold and found lots of water - mainly 2 - 4

Pull the Clylinder Head and lots of sludge in - 2 - 4. Checked the Clylinder Head gasket and it looked ok

This all started in early September so I do not suspect any Cracked Eng components

Pulled the Intake Manifold and inspected the Metal Gasket - seemed ok No water in the oil

I dont believe that the Exhaust System is at fault If there was, water would have maide its way into Cylinders 6 - 8

I suspect the Intake Maifold Gasket - Any thoughts

Ayuh,.... Could be a crack in the head itself,..??

Any "Rust Tracks" you can observe,..??

When all is said and done the Block is Rusty and will need to be replaced. All the other Engine Componets will have to be inspected by a qualified mechanic. The question is what other parts can be saved. - Crankshaft - Connecting Rods - . Pistons . I only found damaged to Cylinders # 2 & 4 and the engine seized while cranking not running. I think that I can answer my own question. They will have to be inspected as well.

When all is said and done the Block is Rusty and will need to be replaced. All the other Engine Componets will have to be inspected by a qualified mechanic. The question is what other parts can be saved. - Crankshaft - Connecting Rods - . Pistons . I only found damaged to Cylinders # 2 & 4 and the engine seized while cranking not running. I think that I can answer my own question. They will have to be inspected as well.

Ayuh,.... Just buy a rebuilt Long Block crate motor, 'n use the junk ya got as the Core return,....

Unless yer Damn friendly with yer Mechanic, 'n Machinist, it's no doubt cheaper, easier, 'n usually with a warranty to go with the crate motor,...

Back