Logo

Honda BF225 fuel problem

jrthone

Hi All,

I have a problem with my 2006 BF225 and was wondering if you guys could help me. it is pushing a 24ft Buccaneer Walkaround . Last year i was getting 9l per hour trolling at 8knots. All of a sudden this year it has increased to around 20lt per hour trolling at 8knots. it has made our marlin fishing very very expensive. My motor seems to run absolutely mint other than that. No engine light, charging 14v, no missing, starts first every time. The engine has done 1820 hours(trolling) and is serviced every 100 hours (Plugs are brand new).Boat has not changed from last year and it is dry stacked. Fuel is new every time.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simple things first...

First thing I would recommend is to pull the thermostats and clean/test them. If that engine is running too cold, it gobbles fuel. Thermostats should start to open around 140 F (60 C) and fully open to 3 centimeters at 160 F (71 C). If one or both of the thermostats are stuck open, also check for smell of fuel in oil. If so, change the oil, too.

Drain the VST. Also check for smell of fuel when running. If float valve in VST is stuck open, that will cause excessive fuel to be dumped into the cylinders.

Thermostats are brand new genuine Honda. only done approx 10 hours. Oil is new also only done approxx 10 hours. i have drained the VST.

There is a smell of fuel(as if the motor is running rich) when we are at trolling speed.

I also troll a lot with my 225 and her should not be any sell of fuel. Pull and clean the VST and check the float valve. If it shows any scoring replace it. Sounds like that might be the problem. While you are doing that also change the high pressure filter if that has not been done recently.

I also troll a lot with my 225 and her should not be any sell of fuel. Pull and clean the VST and check the float valve. If it shows any scoring replace it. Sounds like that might be the problem. While you are doing that also change the high pressure filter if that has not been done recently.

CHAWK - Forgive me if I'm wrong but if the float valve was stuck wouldn't it starve for fuel.

Nothing to forgive, you are right, but sometimes the float valve will stick open, or the needle valve does not seat properly, or a hole in the float will prevent it from floating. I think it is worth investigating.

Nothing to forgive, you are right, but sometimes the float valve will stick open, or the needle valve does not seat properly, or a hole in the float will prevent it from floating. I think it is worth investigating.

Thanks i I will definatly investigate this area .

Back