Logo

1988 Mercury Black Max 135 hp compression

Edson19

Hello fellow boaters.
Recently purchased a 1988 Mercury 135 hp Mercury and according to seller it was a Gem. Motor is in nice shape. SS prop and very clean. My problem is that I did a compression test on it and dry compression was 115 in five cylinders and 95 in the sixth. With a shot of oil iinto each cylinder all 6 registered 125-130. Will I have a problem firing this motor up and will I have a miss fire or a sputter. Do I need to do a rebuild and if so can just the one cylinder be re_ringed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Do a decarb on it first before you do anything else. Get a can of seafoam spray and take it on the water and bring the engine up to tem first and at a high dle speed spray seafoam into the carbs until it starts smoking real good and quickly shut it down. Wait half an hour and then point it toward the big part of the lake and run it WOT for about 1/2 an hour and then see how well it idles. The compression should be within 10% between high and low numbers and your just a little above that. After the engine fully cools down then do the compression test again 1-6 1-6 1-6 and use the high numbers for each cylinder. Allways check compression engine cold and three times through to account for any mistests. Make sure the battery is fully charged and the spark plug wire are grounded to prevent damage to the switchbox. Does the engine start and is the engine misfireing is the question you cannot diagnose a misfire it it has not been started? A spark gap test with a spark gap tester will eliminate the spark variable but the cylinder drop test will identify a cylinder that is not firing.

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try this once our lakes thaw out up here. Will post the results of the test once done.

Pull the plug and take a inspection light and look in cylinder. Also disconnect the idle stablizer as if defective it can damage #1, #3 which is cylinder in question and #6

Back