Logo

2009 honda BF60 electric fuel pump will not run after storage

Toadfish88

My 09 BF60 has been sitting for about 5 mo., I pulled it out yesterday to clean it up and run it for a while. Engine cranks over fine but has no pressure going to injectors, I can not get fuel pump to run. Batteries have full charge and fuses are good. Fuel pump fuse is getting power with key switched on, I'll try to verify voltage tomorrow if I can find my tester. I'm sure no one else has trouble with misplaced test equipment like me, LOL, my wife calls it sometimers disease! I want to apply full 12v to pump just to see if it will run before proceeding. If I can unplug wiring harness from the relay, does anyone know what color wires I could use to power pump from that location? Otherwise it looks like I'll have to disassemble the intake in order to reach where the harness plugs into the pump assembly. If pump will run that way I will proceed with testing voltages at different locations and checking relay. Does anyone know procedure for checking relay? If anyone has a wiring diagram with with wire colors that would be very helpful. Any help will be greatly appreciated as cookie jar funds are running low!

Never tried....but what can it hurt at this point.

Before you do that....reverse the polarity of 12v applied to the pump. Sometimes it breaks it loose, if it is not really bad. Unfortunately, you will not know if it will lock up again.

If there has been any water in your fuel, the pump is probably trashed.

I know they are not cheap, but you will feel better in the long run by replacing the pump with a new one.

Mike

I was able to bring fuel pump back to life by soaking in Berryman carburetor cleaner for about 1.5 hrs.. Pump freed up so I reinstalled, engine is now back running like new

Good deal! It appears the problem was gas goo and not water.

Be sure to use some sort of fuel treatment like Stabil Marine or PRI-G to continue to keep your fuel goo free (technical term), fight the effects of ethanol, and clean and decarbonize the engine.

Mike

Back