Logo

Broken transom plate

nanandpop

Just discovered a broken transom plate, lower port side broken around bolt hole. How critical t overall structure do you think it is or does it provide more clamping. I know it is a little 'backyardigan' but could I make a plate for it for it to re-establish clamp.
Thanks

Attachments

• broken transom plate.jpg
    broken transom plate.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 164
Just doing a major clean and check. just bought the boat,5th happiest day of my life. No problems orginal un test 98 Maxum 2300 sc 5.7 bravo 1 has had some mods dual plan air gap manifold and edelbrock 4bbl. still trying to see the numbers but the didn't leave me enough room to get my body down there. vacuumed up the two broken pieces of the plate when cleaning. looks like corrosion weakened it and torqueing or flexing broke it, doesn't look like a new break, been like that a while.

Just doing a major clean and check. just bought the boat,5th happiest day of my life. No problems orginal un test 98 Maxum 2300 sc 5.7 bravo 1 has had some mods dual plan air gap manifold and edelbrock 4bbl. still trying to see the numbers but the didn't leave me enough room to get my body down there. vacuumed up the two broken pieces of the plate when cleaning. looks like corrosion weakened it and torqueing or flexing broke it, doesn't look like a new break, been like that a while.

Ayuh,.... Keep diggin',... Yer transom is rotten,....

Ya gotta pull the motor to replace the transom plate, that's unacceptable, as is,...

Ayuh,.... Keep diggin',... Yer transom is rotten,....

Ya gotta pull the motor to replace the transom plate, that's unacceptable, as is,...

Hopefully not. hard to access inside to poke or drill, tapping it sounds solid. Pieces of transom plate that I fished out of bilge show lots of galvanic corrosion on transom side only. Checking bonding, also found that the mercathode unit was disconnected. exterior transom plate and leg show no signs of corrosion.

Back