Logo

hydraulic steering wheel spins freely after a pop sound...what did I break?

Craig Son

I have a frozen steering system on my boston whaler. I was giving it the old college try by spraying cylinder by the engine with pb blaster and tapping the tilt tube trying to break it free. While I was trying to turn the wheel it was really tough to turn and then a couple of pops and now it spins freely(and engine doesnt turn) what do you all think I broke? Thanks. I should also note that im not totally familiar with all the parts names.

by the wheel while I was turning it. No oil anywhere. makes me think it either low or I mechanically broke something. Im just going to rip the whole steering system out and bring to hydraulic shop.

Last edited:
If it's an old sea star system, the pump in the helm units have a pressure release valve that will "pop" when the cylinder hits either of its mechanical limits...it could have 'froze' open or just busted. The cylinders are pretty much bullet-proof unless they have a side load induced upon them.

If you are gonna take it to a hydraulic shop, you only need to take the pump, the wheel, and the cylinder...

thanks makomark. I will do that. Only other issue would be why was the steering frozen to begin with? thats why I need to bring everything. So the pump at least should be easy to fix then. Im pretty sure you could say its an old seastar system. Im not sure how old it is. thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:
Back