Logo

BF225 Saltwater in Breather causing Poor Running

Mark P Miller

I had a water line split that is located inside the cowling behind the fuel separator. Water was shooting up 2-3 feet. I came in from offshore and the engine had started missing very badly. I didn't know what it was and I did not try to pull the cowling out there, I just brought her home. The next day I went to investigate and found this split water hose. I replaced the hose but the engine is still missing bad particularly above half throttle. The oil level was also high and looked light brown which tells me that water must have found its way into the crankcase. I took it to the dealer for repair and they kept it two weeks. I think they got tired of me checking on it and basically charged me $100 to tell me they would have to change the starter, alternator, heads and more and unless I wanted to spend $2K to $3K it wasn't worth it. They did not water test it and they didn't hook a computer to it. Anyway, I want to sell the engine but I know I could do better if it was running right.

Does anybody know what happens to the engine when saltwater is sprayed into the breather while it is running? Should I try to change the oil and flush the cylinders? Any ideas?

I have setup a web page to try and sell it at http://gallery.primofish.com/2014/Fishing_Diving/Honda4Sale/

Back