Logo

Best way to flush flywheel cavity on a BF 150?

gepod

Contributing Member
Well after pulling my starter I realized the flywheel and its cavity are full of corrosion and salt. I purchased the engine used and was lied to regarding its history. So aside from dropping the lower,mid upper units and then pulling the power head ,how else can this aera be thoroughly flushed and treated to prevent more corrosion?

Last edited:
Saw a video. New starter goes in Friday and I'll let you know how things go. Fingers and toes optimistically crossed.

To me it looks like this motor was submerged.--Have you looked at the sparkplugs ?---Will the motor turn by hand ?

How can it be turned by hand? Supprisingly the Plugs were clean. I'm hoping the waterline only reached as high as the flywheel aera(fingers crossed). Or mabey the water entered via wave action on a tilted motor or a the motor was mounted too low on the transom?
I'll be putting a new starter on it tomorrow and we will see how bad things are. In the meantime Id like to figure out the best way to clean out this aera?
Thanks

I'll check tomorrow. Its a 2006 bf 150. I believe the thermostats are housed on top of the motor, don't recall a cover or pulley.

You probably have the starter on by now but you could turn the engine by inserting a screwdriver through that hole and prying GENTLY against the flywheel teeth in the direction of rotation. It shouldn't take much effort to get it to move if it's not seized.
Just sayin'

There is a bolt on the crankshaft pulley. Use the appropriate size socket (I think is may be 17mm) and a breaker bar or long ratchet and turn it clockwise.

As to the question about where the thermostats are.....they are also on the top under the plastic cover. One in the block and one in the head. They are right next to each other...so do not get them confused...they are different thermostats.

Mike

There is a bolt on the crankshaft pulley. Use the appropriate size socket (I think is may be 17mm) and a breaker bar or long ratchet and turn it clockwise.

As to the question about where the thermostats are.....they are also on the top under the plastic cover. One in the block and one in the head. They are right next to each other...so do not get them confused...they are different thermostats.

Mike

Well it started right up and runs/idles well ( on ears) !! So Ill attempt to pull the starter and clean the flywheel aera, clean all electrical contacts and apply dielectric grease. Anything else anyone would recommend?
Like I said before, aside from the flywheel aera the motor is immaculate, mabey the water entered the flywheel cavity another way other than being submerged?? Im not sure if I can trust the motor 100%?
thanks ,
Jerry

Im trying to find out the year of the motor ,seller said it was a 2008. Also looking to find out which dealer sold it because it was never registered for warranty. Any help would be appreciated.
Serial # BANJ-1300392

Interesting...

I come up with an original invoice date of 10/16/2006 (that would make it a 2007 model) to dealer 319116.

It shows it as being sold and registered on 09/07/2012 in Port Washington, NY 11050

So it could have been sitting around the dealership for all that time or maybe something else.

You will have to call Honda and see if they can tell you the dealer.

Mike

Last edited:
Hey Mike,thanks that's the same info I have. I registered it after I bought it in 2012. Tryin to figure out why it was never registered for warranty? I already called honda and left them a message. Seriously I appreciate all your help. What goes around comes around!
Cheers,
jerry

It is not unusual for a motor to not get registered in a busy dealership. Someone has to take ownership for doing it and usually it is the sales department's responsibility. Not to make a generalization....but the sales guys don't like to do paperwork....they just love to talk and sell. Registering the motor takes some time and unless they get paid for it, it may slip in the cracks. If the dealership has a routine setup that it is checked before the sales guy/gal gets paid, then it will get registered.

Likewise, in a small shop, where everyone does a little of everything, it turns out the the largest fire gets put out first and the small detail of registering a motor gets stuck in the drawer to be done later. Sometimes, later never comes.

So...I do not think it is a conspiracy or anything like that....."stuff happens".

Mike

So, Mike...what you're saying....could it be?.....is it possible?....that maybe....just...maybe?...

That a Honda dealer may have actually been the one in charge of rolling out Obamacare??!!?!.....

Sorry, it was all tee'd up and waiting...couldn't keep from comin' around!
:~) :~) :~) :~)

Back