Logo

BF20 Mystery Part

grinder48

Was changing oil filter in my 2007 honda 20 HP (BF20, 2007) yesterday so I removed the starboard side cover and found a loose part lying in the port side cover. A pic of the part is attached. Other than routine oil/filter/lower unit service, the only thing that's ever been done to the motor is that it had a "fuel chamber kit" installed by a dealer for a Honda recall in 2008. It runs fine. I don't know if part might have been left off when the fuel chamber kit was installed or what. Any advice will be much appreciate, thanks.

Attachments

• Honda part.jpg
    Honda part.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 56
Thanks racerone. I see it's a flame arrestor in the silencer cover. I wonder if there's any way to find out what was in the kit used for the fuel chamber recall? Thinking if the kit included a new flame arrestor, this may be the old one. If the kit didn't include a new flame arrestor, then the flame arrestor was probably left out when the kit was installed. The dealer that installed the kit is no longer in business, I just hate to have to pay another dealer to take it apart just to say, It's OK, there's a flame arrestor in the silencer cover like there's supposed to be." I don'r have access to parts or repair manuals. (Link below to recall info.) Thanks again.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...STER-RECALL_BF15D_BF20D_FUELCHAMBERRECALL.pdf

It is not including in the fuel chamber recall. The flame arrestor pops out from time to time.

You can put it back in yourself. There are two 10mm bolts that hold the muffler on. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...d Later/BF20DK0 SHA /MUFFLER COVER/parts.html

Easy to remove and reinstall. You do not have to remove the side panel.

Just pop it back in. I is just held in by a couple of tabs. Just pay attention to where the clear plastic, breather hose, goes in the frame. Just put the end back in the little slot over the hole in the frame.

Mike

Mike

WOW hondadude Mike, thanks a TON! I haven't tried it yet but, based on your instructions, I'm sure I can handle it. This is the best experience I've had on any forum. Direct and specific answers to the questions! And another thanks to racerone also! Thanks again both of you, appreciate your help!

Sorry, but it won't work. And here's why:

The flame arrester screen rotates around behind those little tabs due to harmonic vibrations of the engine. The screen, being metal, and the housing, being plastic...this "action" wears the little tabs down to the point that...yes, you can pop the screen back in but it will soon be lying at the bottom of the housing again.

What I did when I had a fleet of about 50 of these was to use a #4 sheet metal screw and thread it into the bottom of the housing where a little pointy sort of "tongue" or lip is molded in. If you put the screen in and then start threading the screw into the housing at an angle so that it snugs up against the screen when it bottoms, it won't come out again. As a precaution I also got into the habit of putting a dab of 3M industrial adhesive on the protruding threads but I have never seen one back out, glue or no glue.

You can glue the screen back in but the oil and gas fumes the engine "burps" will eventually cause that interface of plastic to glue to metal to break down.

Or, you can buy a new muffler. But, you've already seen what happens over time to that expensive little piece.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I found when I opened it up last night ... no tabs! I planned to try today to find an O-ring with just the right fit. There appears to be enough room that an O-ring could be put in after the arrestor, haven't tried yet. But I like the idea of the #4 sheet metal screw better, think I'll go that route (maybe even with some adhesive and newly melted tabs). Might be a few days before I can get back on it but will post the outcome. I've gotta say that this is a ridiculous design fault! Again, I really apprediate everyone's help.

Back