Logo

1995 DT4 not starting

Skimmons

I have a '95 DT4 that I stored a while back when I noticed the tell tale wasnt "peeing". I just fired it up a couple of weeks ago to see if it still ran. It fired up and I quickly secured it. I then replaced the water pump impeller and gasket kit. I started to examine the engine for other items that might need attention. The gas tank was rusty so I removed it and gave it the POR-15 treatment (looks brand new). I replaced the entire fuel cock/filter assembly, all fuel hose, new diaphram kit for fuel pump, and new carburetor. I put it in a tank to test the new impeller but cant get it to start. I pulled the plug and cleaned it up/tested for spark...it has a spark. I removed the fuel line from carb to fuel pump and tested...fuel sputters out of pump when engine cranked. I am waiting for my compression tester to find out my exact compression. I put my thumb over and it seemed to be ok but want to check properly. I can get it to "try" to start by spraying premix fuel out of squirt bottle into carb throat. Sometimes it "sneezes" and bubbles come from exhaust outlet under water. I know the carb bowl is filling with fuel beacuse when I open the drain fuel comes out. Are new carbs "preset" as far as fuel/air, and other adjustments (besides idle of course). Any suggestions I would appreciate.

Back