Logo

1985 9.9 Can I use different carburetor?

Jimske

This is European motor with designation F9.9AM and 6G8 UL 702374 but doesn't seem to translate to U.S. model. Best I can figure it is basically model FT9.9EXK. I want to buy new carb but it is obsolete. So I am wondering if I can use the updated carb. My problems are that the automatic choke not working plus the screw for idle adjustment broken off carb body. I have adjusted the throttle control cable to get the idle correct for start up but choke not working. I am forced to start motor (motor converted to electric start) and wait for it to warm up before I can accelerate without stalling. Quite a pain!

The difference I believe is only the automatic choke apparatus. They changed the carb in 1992. I have seen the new carb and all looks the same except the automatic choke and the throttle adjustment linkage which isn't a problem. The 1992 would fit on my motor.

Here is my carb: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1985/FT9.9EXK/CARBURETOR/parts.html#

Here is the 1992 carb: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1992/T9.9EXHQ/CARBURETOR/parts.html
The new carb choke has a temperature sensor solenoid which wires to an engine temperature sensor. If my '85 has a sensor where this could be attached I don't know about it. Will this work?

So I am hoping to hear from anyone who understand this better than me. (that probably means anyone!)

Thanks.

Are you sure as to the date of manufacture?

Can you state which carburetor, by part number, that was installed on your motor?

Are you sure as to the date of manufacture?

Can you state which carburetor, by part number, that was installed on your motor?
No I can't be sure of the year as the plate on the motor doesn't match up with any I've found. The TEIKEI carb part number on the carb body is:

7FE
6G809

Thanks.

Good find - I didn't see that before. Do you think the year matters?

Thanks, Jim
Hi and thanks again. I ordered the carb and it looks exactly like the old one. Haven't installed it yet. Will do this weekend. I can't figure out how the auto choke works on this carb or even IF it has an auto choke. Can anyone explain the choke on this carb to me. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Back