Logo

V-Drive Leak

ArabianFGL

I have a 1967 Century Arabian with Crusader V-Drive. The input shaft seal leaked when I winterized with antifreeze, so I presume I'll have water leaks when under way. I don't know if a little leakage is OK or if I should replace the seal. I'll appreciate others' experience and advice on where to get a seal if necessary. Thanks!

... input shaft seal leaked when I winterized with antifreeze...

The "input shaft seal" usually keeps the oil inside the unit...If you had antifreeze exiting the shaft seal when you winterized, I'd suspect a seal replacement is the least of your concerns...

Identifying the gear by model would help a bunch, too...

Thanks Makomark. The hopeful news is that the oil level is a bit low, but it's not discolored so I don't think has water in it. I'll post the model # tonight when I get home.

Makomark, I found a pic of one that looks the same (ebay) and they say it's a 4500. Gear ratios are different, but it looks identical. I also see a thread here where one was overheating, but it had an external water pump. Mine does not have a pump; raw water is "forced" through the unit via a dedicated thru-hull. The boat's forward momentum creates the force to push the water through the unit. Any of this help at all?

I've never seen that kind of cooling setup....seems sub-optimal to me...and I've never had a 4500 apart.

So, if the gear has a water cooling passage and it is NOT fed by the engine driven pump, what were you winterizing with the antifreeze when you saw the leak?

The water cooling passage thru the gear has to be separated (isolated) from the oil reservoir so the oil isn't contaminated. The seals and the input and output shafts keep the oil inside the gear. so, any external leak of water from the gear means a fitting is leaking, the hose over the fitting is leaking (loose clamp), or the case is cracked...bottom line is no water should be leaking from the gear.

Thanks, Makomark. Having just acquired the boat, I didn't know at the time that there was no internal pump. The unit is out of the boat at this point so I'll hook my hose up to it and watch very carefully to see exactly where the water exits. If the oil were contaminated I'd be a lot more concerned. I agree, it seems odd that there would be no pump, but have confirmed that this is the way it came originally. It makes sense to some degree; a gearbox at rest doesn't need cooling. I'll post my final findings. Thanks for your remarks; you've given me a track to run on.

Makomark, FYI you were right; it's a fitting leaking water. Oil is leaking around the input shaft. I found a guy that can replace the seal.

Back