Logo

Leaking transom by outdriv

jsans

My boat is a 2000 30 foot Baja and is leaking from the transom. I was wondering what are the possible causes of this. Thank god the dock master caught this early which ultimately prevented my boat from sinking. I am thinking it is just a seal from the outboard. The guy that had the boat previously to me said that since this was the first run since winter that it could be a seal from running the outdrive up and down a lot during the day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tansoms rarely leak unless a thru bots rots or the large one piece oring seal is bad or the transom itself is bad...

Could be a lost screw holding something to the transom,

What if any outdrive? Alpha or Bravo or inboard only?

What engine?

If an outdrive Alpha or Bravo there are bellows that keep water from entering the boat one for the ujoint assembly and the other for the shift cable.

If the shift cable bellows is bad water entering the boat is slow typically

if the bellows is torn this can allow lots of water in, in a short period of time.

More info and try to be specific on what is what. If not sure take pics and post em.........

Ayuh,.... So what's the Driveline in the boat,..?? 30' Baja don't mean much,...

There's the Bellows on Alphas, 'n Bravos,...

Could be Alota other things as well, inculdin' a Rotten transom,...

The previous owner think's it could be a bellow. It leaks a lot when it is sitting still. However, whenever it's moving it doesn't leak at all. I thought maybe a sterndrive seal?

Only way to tell is to look.........I don't think anyone can answer this specifically

If the bellows are or look dry rotted then they need to be replaced.

Every 5 to ten years depending on water environment.

I don't even know what a bellows is. So I am doing some active research to try and find out. I see people putting on here rotting and get nervous. I was thinking that wouldn't be the case because I don't store it in water neither did the guy before me. Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated on this end.

I don't even know what a bellows is. So I am doing some active research to try and find out. I see people putting on here rotting and get nervous. I was thinking that wouldn't be the case because I don't store it in water neither did the guy before me. Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated on this end.

Ayuh,.... Go trim yer drives, Full Up,....
Lay down on the ground under 'em, 'n look Up,....

The big black rubber corrugated tubes are the Bellows, of which there are three,...

The Big 1 on the bottom is exhaust, 'n don't really matter if it's ripped, other than noise,...

The Big one on top is the drive shaft, 'n the little 1 next to it is the shift cable,...
Both of those will sink yer boat,....

How long ya owned this boat,..??
Sounds like it's been Lackin' in preventative maintenance,...
or maybe Any maintenance,...

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... Go trim yer drives, Full Up,....
Lay down on the ground under 'em, 'n look Up,....

The big black rubber corrugated tubes are the Bellows, of which there are three,...

The Big 1 on the bottom is exhaust, 'n don't really matter if it's ripped, other than noise,...

The Big one on top is the drive shaft, 'n the little 1 next to it is the shift cable,...
Both of those will sink yer boat,....

How long ya owned this boat,..??
Sounds like it's been Lackin' in preventative maintenance,...
or maybe Any maintenance,...

Well, I've been kind of discouraged so far as I've owned this boat a total of 4 days. I really haven't much of a opportunity to do much maintenance on this boat. So I'm trying to educate myself on what I need to do with the smallest cost consequence.

Here is a parts diagram of the u joint bellows (large one that a lot of water can come thru)
And the smaller one the exhaust bellows if so equipped (not used if thru transom exhaust) Also no water can leak into boat from this bellows.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...bravo-one/0m100001-thru-0w249999/bell-housing

The next link shows the shift cable bellows it is to the right of the other two bellows at about ~3:00 o'clock looking at it from the back of the boat,

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...avo-one/0m100001-thru-0w249999/gimbal-housing

Well, I've been kind of discouraged so far as I've owned this boat a total of 4 days. I really haven't much of a opportunity to do much maintenance on this boat. So I'm trying to educate myself on what I need to do with the smallest cost consequence.

As a new boat owner and not knowing much about the mechanics, Especially with twin 454's and bravo's
I would STRONGLY RECCOMEND HAVING A CERTIFIED MARINE MECHANIC LOOK AT IT AND DO THE WORK!!

Storing a boat inside only prolongs the rubber bellows deterioration. This is not a big deal as it is common to replace them.

I have done many hundreds of them!!

Don't get nervous because if this is all that is wrong consider yourself lucky!!

Back