Logo

8.2L Stainless Risers

JSK

I have stainless risers and cast iron manifolds on my 8.2L Merc Inboards. I'll be changing my riser gaskets soon and wondering if I should use copper gasket sealant? They have metal gaskets. Anyone with experience stainless risers that could offer some tips?
Thanks, John

I have the same setup on my engine and found out Mercruiser no longer advise this combination due to differing expansion rates of the two metals which have lead to leakage.
So I used some heat proof silicone on the gaskets to accommodate the difference in temp, 80C coolant under the gasket and tepid seawater on the other side!

Yes, so far no problems, my manifolds are freshwater cooled so run at engine temp 80C or higher, and the seawater temp here is seldom above 16C so there is a considerable temp difference. Plus the boat is winterised and sits on land for 5 mths and it can get down to -10C. But I retorque the bolts once a year, this engine was installed in 1996 and still on original manifolds and risers as there is nothing to rust!

What spec are you torqueing your riser bolts 25 FTLB? Not sure what the conversion would be to metric. Is it 11FT/kg? Thanks

Great. I re-torqued the risers today. One bolt on the leaking riser was below spec. I will change the gasket if leak persists. Thx

Back